Pirate 4x4 banner

Prorock 60 or Tera60r ?

4K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  BillaVista 
#1 ·
I'm having Sunray build me one of their 1550 front-ends, I need a HP center section.What are the pros & cons of Dynatracs Prorock60 and Teras 60r(The CRD is out because it is a shovel up front)

#6 ·
briejer said:
I'm having Sunray build me one of their 1550 front-ends, I need a HP center section.What are the pros & cons of Dynatracs Prorock60 and Teras 60r(The CRD is out because it is a shovel up front)
Haven't I seen this thread before?

I don't think the CRD will be a shovel up front. Since it will not be rotated up, it should slide over the rocks better since the leading edge is higher, it would be more like a ramp, not a shovel.

However, I think I agree with Xtreme and would say the ProRock would have higher clearance in the front. Maybe do the CRD in the back for triangulation. It will depend some on what type of suspension you are running.

#7 ·
Why aren't you using a 9" center section? Even more ground clearance then the two aforementioned center sections, pinion bearings are stronger, pinion gear is stronger, more gear ratio selections, and they can build you a trick chro-mo center section that is very strong.:confused:

#8 ·
blk87K5 said:
Why aren't you using a 9" center section? Even more ground clearance then the two aforementioned center sections, pinion bearings are stronger, pinion gear is stronger, more gear ratio selections, and they can build you a trick chro-mo center section that is very strong.:confused:
since you brought it up.....i vote for mog9's:D .

#9 ·
I don't know about the tera unit, but the pro rock has a seperate custom oiler for the pinion, which I like, and I think Dynatrac makes top notch stuff. If I had the cash, Id buy PRO ROCK. Ive helped with the install of a pro rock, and it is one NICE axle.
Scott

#11 ·
blk87K5 said:
I'm not using a 9" center because I prefer a high pinion. I drive like shit and can't keep a low hanging driveline off of the rocks. Th anks for the input.

#12 ·
The ProRock has two oil sumps, which is a huge advantage for jeeps driven on the road alot. It also has more clearance and is a much stronger housing.

The ProRocks also have an optional bridge for mounting links over the pumpkin, the bridge bolts in so you could make one yourself, or when you switch suspensions buy a new one from Dynatrac to start with a clean plate.

#15 ·
I went with Tera when I did my axles near the beginning of last year. I did have some lube problems in the rear even though I was running a pretty conservative anlge (i.e. less than 10 degrees). Depsite what I've heard, Tera's customer service was excellent. They responded very quickly to my problems and sent out replacement parts immediately.

That being said, I would choose the ProRocks if I did it all over again :flipoff2:

#19 ·
You may want to have Sunray build it with a reagular HP D60 center and shave it themselves in-house. They built my RCD60 and shaved it and did a GREAT job.

If that is not an option, I would do the Tera. The Dynatrac is a HEAVY pig.

#22 ·
I just stated 1/4. I am not sure of exact but let see for a minute,

A HP9 uses 8.8 gears out of a Explorer. A ProRock 60 uses Reverse cut 60 gears witch are about 30% stronger then a regular 60. That's all I am saying, and if you read the sig you will see that I am a 9" guy. I run them in the back of both rigs and both are 35 spline, spooled and geared. I just don't like the HP9 due to the fact that I have seen to many of them broke. Call Currie and ask them how muck power a HP9 can take and then compare it to what Dynatrac will tell you a ProRock can take.

#23 ·
blk87K5 said:

I would like to see the math to support your claim. Not trying to be an ass, but I don't see why it would only be ~25% as strong. What aspect of the high pinion 9" carrier makes it that much weaker than a D60? :confused:
[/QUOT

i have no math to support my claim.......... but i broke ford hp nines.... there is no pinion bearing support on the hp variety nor is it an actual nine r&p it is an 8.8......... currie says not to run bigger than 35 inch tires with them..... mine are now gone and im running PRO ROCKS...... well they are a sweet setup and couldnt suggest any other!

#24 ·
XtremeEngineering said:
I just stated 1/4. I am not sure of exact but let see for a minute,

A HP9 uses 8.8 gears out of a Explorer. A ProRock 60 uses Reverse cut 60 gears witch are about 30% stronger then a regular 60. That's all I am saying, and if you read the sig you will see that I am a 9" guy. I run them in the back of both rigs and both are 35 spline, spooled and geared. I just don't like the HP9 due to the fact that I have seen to many of them broke. Call Currie and ask them how muck power a HP9 can take and then compare it to what Dynatrac will tell you a ProRock can take.

You have to remember we are talking front axles here, a HP9" should have no problem surviving up front. In the rear is where all the problems arise.

Also a HP9 uses RC 8.8 gears so for a front application they will be on the drive side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.