Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congrats to Hal,John and Sean 1st. 2nd and 3rd this weekend. It was a close comp and the last course was a killer(for some of us) We had 8 F-TOYS show up
and the courses were awesome, once again we were the largest class there and there should be more in 08. Oh yeah congrats to John and Mark(team Marlin crawler) for taking the championship.:D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Wow! What a great time. I never thought Id be so happy to get a 3rd. What a tight comp! It all almost came down to the last course.
The whole class has gotten alot better. The highest stock mod score would of placed last in the F toys. It use to be the other way around a couple of years ago!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
good job mike. i was bummed not to be apart of the class this weekend. saturday's courses looked like so much fun. congrats to mike and jake for totally bringing it this weekend. they were ahead on sunday morning and i think first place going into the very last course which was their demise. thats how tight the scores were. the nature of ftoy is tight competition and thats exactly what it was all weekend.

congrats to hal deschamp for pulling his first victory in his very first competition ever!!! if any of you rookies are scared to come out and compete, take a look at what Hal did in his very first competition as a driver. good job Hal!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I really enjoyed meeting all of the competitors and most of the spectators. I can't wait to try competing myself. Hobie is right about being new to the competition. I have no worries about going to my first event.

Some of the spectators were just rude and ignorant. I hope this doens't turn into another Glamis.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Some of the spectators were just rude and ignorant. I hope this doens't turn into another Glamis.
Don't let that detour you. You will get that in every sport. You just learn to tune out the bad ones and feed off the good ones. There is no better feeling then when the kids in the croud smile aat you and say "wow your good" or something.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Wow, what a great event. The competition was fierce. We definatly had to "Bring It" this weekend. Everyone was on their "A" game. Thank god for the last course :grinpimp:. Otherwise I would have been lucky to take 5th.
thanks to my spotter Mark James (my brother) for keeping me inline and being able to run fast:eek:.

Hal can definatly dive it like he stole it :D. Congrats for the first victory.

OH, and thanks to Deseree for feeding us all weekend:p

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You can pretty much count on a handfull of spectators that can drive and/or spot better than anyone there. Just don't pay any attention to them. Way to many cool spectators to worry about the bad ones.

Sounds like I missed a good time..

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
Spectators are like that at EVERY event...you just normally cannot hear them because they are not standing in the middle of your course like they do at Pro Rock! :laughing:

And BTW, I think it's fun to have them so close I can BS with them while on course. :dustin: Some of the best spectators in the sport for sure!

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Spectators are like that at EVERY event...you just normally cannot hear them because they are not standing in the middle of your course like they do at Pro Rock! :laughing:

And BTW, I think it's fun to have them so close I can BS with them while on course. :dustin: Some of the best spectators in the sport for sure!
That is a good point Dustin. There were a few times during the weekend that I found myself watching the competitor in front of me on course, and at the same time I was explaining what he was doing to the spectators. It gave them a chance to learn how much stradigy was involved and just how technical the driving was. The average spectator doesn't realize how we use selectable lockers and rocks under the tires to manipulate how the rig performs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Had a great time and it was good to see everybody. As for the crowd, I had to tell people to move a couple of times in case I rolled. Dont think thats my job. Have another issue that came up regarding lug nuts but will not post up yet, congrats John on the come back.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

At the first prorock this year, I remember waiting for Jake to stack rocks while stopped on a steep sidehill 2 kids were looking down at me thru the pass side window
I asked if they had any doritos 1 kid yelled to another (hey Joey I,am give this guy your chips) and dropped the bag into the car. I was laughing so hard its a wonder we finished the course

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
ya thanks to desiree. she managed to feed me again, and i wasnt around the ftoys that much.:)

here's a spectator story:
after me and matt didnt finish a course because of the last obstacle and we were out of time, one guy, with beer in hand, told me how he easily would of gotten thru course with his bronco:laughing:

i like the spectators in the middle of the course, more than that, i like to look up and the team crew chief is 6' behind the rig following it thru the course, lol. then i can check with him to make sure the buggy is operating the right way:laughing:

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Hobie is right about being new to the competition. I have no worries about going to my first event..

it was nice to put a face to a name. there were again, soo many guys out at the comp checking the ftoy class out that are currently building. just like houston, there were tons of texas and east coast guys there watching the ftoy class and getting ready for next year. the class is growing by leaps and bounds.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya thanks to desiree. she managed to feed me again, and i wasnt around the ftoys that much.:)

here's a spectator story:
after me and matt didnt finish a course because of the last obstacle and we were out of time, one guy, with beer in hand, told me how he easily would of gotten thru course with his bronco:laughing:

i like the spectators in the middle of the course, more than that, i like to look up and the team crew chief is 6' behind the rig following it thru the course, lol. then i can check with him to make sure the buggy is operating the right way:laughing:
Oh you don,t show up to watch us run but you find time for free food

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
From a judge's POV I have to disagree with having the spectators on the courses.1) From a safety standpoint making sure that everybody is out of the way before I can start a driver through the course just get's old after the 20th time.2)As I see it,one of the responsibilitys of the judges is to make sure that the course is consistent from team to team.There is nothing that I can do in regards to rocks being moved or holes being created within the course but if I have to stop a driver from going through a obstacle so that I can clear spectators out of the way to keep them from getting run over that isn't right in several regards.Yes,maybe the driver would like a short break to catch his/her breath, but what if everything is clicking for the driver and then he's stopped and that flow goes away?3) I get tired of having to fight my way through a crowd to get from one side of a course to the other to make sure that I can see as much as possible.I'm old and slow as it is.Having to get 30 people out of my way to get from A to B makes it even worse. I'm sure that if somebody clipped a cone and I didn't see it yet somebody from another team saw it there would be some very unhappy people.

I think that the overriding aspect of this has to be spectator safety.There is always going to be an element of danger associated with this,but you combine alcohol,young/small children,heat,people that can't move around so well and high horsepower,almost twitchy vehicles and I see a disaster in the making.

On the other hand maybe I'm just a grumpy old fart:laughing::flipoff2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts