Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know somebody has asked this before, but what are all the pros on running on propane. Is it cheaper than gas and does a big block Chevy gain any performance and mileage. What are your experiences. Thanks for info, JD...

·
Registered
366 Posts
just call the guys at gotpropane. they are decent, and will not fuck you around. btw, it's not cheaper than gas for me unless i drive 45 miles to get it... kindof a waste.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just call the guys at gotpropane. they are decent, and will not fuck you around. btw, it's not cheaper than gas for me unless i drive 45 miles to get it... kindof a waste.
I was reading a thread about the different dealers but was just wanting to get feed back from people that have installed it. How does yours run..

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
the only con i can think of is availiblity and range, but that varies on region and what kind of wheeling you do.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I ran mine the first time today. It ran fine, I think it may have a little less power but ran smooth with no hesitation or stumbles.

I paid $2.99 a gallon vs $3.65 for premium at the same station.

I do have a starting issue at the moment I need to get fixed. After driving for 5min or an hour if I shut it off for any time it wont restart without priming it alot. Hopefully I can get this fixed.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Mine starts pretty quick, fast as or faster than gas.

Overall I did see a power loss. Gotpropane says you can end up with the same power but I dont believe it. I have spent a ton of time messing with mine and it just doesnt have the guts that it had when it was CPI injection.

The good things about it are that its very simple. Easy to trouble shoot if the rig stops running.

The bad about it.

1.Getting more propane is a hassle, some hardware stores and Suburban love to screw you if they can.

2.Mounting a bottle sucks, you cant have a fuel cell in exactly the shape you want it.

3. If you run out your screwed, meaning you really need to have a 2nd bottle mounted. Most of the places I have bought propane at will charge you for a full one no matter what so you pretty much need to run them empty.

Would I do it again, no if I had a good injection. If I didnt have injection, I would do it again. Only because its much cheaper. If I had the money, I would put fuel injection back on my rig.
________
CALIFORNIA DISPENSARY

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
I have the gotpropane kit on my AMC360. It never ran THAT well with the MC2100 carb. It runs full on fantastic now. When it sits for a while, I will prime it from the evaporator (also when it's cold outside). It fires right up. It's DEAD simple too, so troubleshooting is a piece of cake. I highly recommend calling Cary and chat with him.

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
I have been running propane for several years. Yeah some times finding a station can be a bitch to avoid this I have a 42 gallon tank on the truck and carry a 100 gallon tank on the trailer for long trips. Since we tend to go to the same areas we know where and who has the cheapest. Around the immedate area we just fill off the house tank.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for your time guys, this is the stories I was looking for. I have a forklift that runs on it and it start real easy when it's cold. But because it's a forklift I can't tell if it would be any good on a daily driver. If you have seen the 74 Chevy I am building http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634889, it is the truck I am considering it for. It has the room in the nose for a large tank with room for a smaller one as a reserve. How is the mileage comparison. Thanks again, JD

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Mine is trail only. I get a full day of wheeling out of a 33# tank. I have a propane filling station right near my house, and I have 5 tanks (just in case).

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a gotpropane set up...

and it is the best thing I have done to the bronco. It runs clean and worry free. If you stall on the side of a hill it will fire up no problem. I have a "wet leg" line for filling cylinders off my home tank so that gets the price down under $2 a gallon. The only downside I can think of is the gauges on the tanks are worthless. I have seen some transparent tanks that allow you to see the liquid and that might be the way to go next time.

Gotpropane has great customer service, he knows his stuff inside and out and it seems like he enjoys answering any questions. You won't regret getting your stuff for them.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
more info on this filling from home tanks stuff....... please:confused:

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
You need a valve on your home tank that allows you to draw liquid not vapor

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The only downside I can think of is the gauges on the tanks are worthless. I have seen some transparent tanks that allow you to see the liquid and that might be the way to go next time.
I agree, thats the only thing "I" see as a downfall to propane. I have yet to see a dash mount gauge. those transparent tanks are nice. does anyone have a price on them?

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
FYI, forklift tanks are usually not DOT approved (don't let this stop you though). I have it on my full size chevy (350sb and 44"s) and I get a day and a half out of a 43# tank. I also use the hose at the house. The best way to do this is to tell them you want to fill your bbq tanks from the tank and they will usually add the line at little to no extra charge. Please learn how to fill them correctly for two reasons. One, so you do not overfill or hurt yourself doing it. And two, so you don't get screwed when you have it refilled. If you take it in to get it refilled, they should have a weight scale or meter on the pump to verify how much you are getting. You may check w/ your states comptroler office to see how they regulate the sale of propane in your state. People ripping customers off on the 'pane is unacceptable. I have heard alot of ORV parks are now carrying it. I recomend buying a few extra bottles because it won't go stale like gas will. In short, I love it on my truck and plan on refitting my ranch truck to it for $$$ savings.

·
5,599 Posts
In AZ if I drive to the propane place, my empty tanks will be too hot to accept any LPG. We have to spray them off with water, crack the bleaders and wait for them to cool then they will accept afew gallons.

So you cant fill them up when its hot or if the tanks were in the sun.
Two tanks is not enough I want four 40# tanks.

Only the big distribution hubs like airgas in my area are reasonibly priced the gas stations charge more then gas now, used to be alot cheaper.

Many gas station attendents have no idea how to safely fill propane. They fill it with the bleader barily cracked open and cant see the LPG comeout when full and over fill it. Ive bought 23gallons for two 10 gallon tanks, no good.

I would not convert an LS1 to LPG, but I would convert my LPG350 to an LS1.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Tomorrow I will be starting my propane conversion on this monster. "496 Stroker" I will be running a dual quad intake with 2 425 mixers. I will be starting a thread and keep everyone posted on the results...

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
The only bad things I have seen is lose about 4% of your horsepower over running gas and there are not as many places to fill your tank.Gas here is $3.29 a gallon and Pane is $2.45 a gallon.You get better milage out of pane and also your motor will run cleaner and more efficent.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Love Propane..........

1 - 20 of 225 Posts