Pirate 4x4 banner

Pro's and Con's of welding spider gears in Dana 30

18K views 53 replies 33 participants last post by  Mslav1160 
#1 ·
Hey guys its been a while since i've been here. I heard one time that it works great to weld the spider gears on the Dana 30 front axle in a YJ..

I've been thinking about getting a locker for the front and rear and I am not really into any hard core rock crawling but just some occasional off road fun.
I'm lookin into the Powertrax No Slip traction system for the rear and I'm just not sure about the front. Since the YJ has a front axle disconnect actuator would it be ok to weld the spider gears together??

Since the YJ uses the front axle disconnect only one wheel will be spinning the differential when used in 2wd mode, Correct?
And when the actuator engages 4wd the power is only transferred to one wheel since it has an open differential, correct?

Now, why would it not be ok to weld the spider gears together, since the only time that i would need to lock the front diff anyways is when i engage 4wd. and when in 2wd mode the other axle will be disconnected anyway and both wheel will be freewheeling.

If anybody has done this, any information on how to or not to do this would be apprecitated.

Thanks guys,

Jesse

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.