Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached are some of the pictures of the intall of my son's PRP seat and cam lock harness into my '89 4Runner. I completely removed the back seats and made this frame. Jake's seat attaches to it and so does the base for our second's car seat (due any day now). The base isn't shown in the first picture.

It's made from 1" (1.33" OD, ~ .120" wall) pipe. I also used 1/8" x 1/2" flat expanded steel, 3/16" plate for all the tabs, the gussets for the two front legs (lower left of the first picture).
The entire thing is removable via these 4 mounting feet.
I got the tube assemblies from Off Road Design - 1 - 1/2" tube, poly buhsings, 1/2" bolts and sleeves. I welded 4 to the seat mount. They drop into the 4 square mounts - They're 3x3x3/16 box steel (cut 4" tall, 1/2 holes, 1" OC) that I welded to 4x5x3/16 cage plates.
They all bolt through the body; the fronts through a second plate on the body. The rears bolt through body mounts.
Two in the front -

Two in the back -

I ran a piece of pipe between the two front mounts for extra rigidity.
I can drop the "stage" down 2" as my passengers grow during the next few years.
The shoulder straps mount to the bar I ran behind the seat.

You can see in this picture how I welded it to the frame and capped the ends.

I made all the tabs for this thing...it was a chore within it self. The seat mounts in double shear and belts in single.

On to the car seat...the base mounts using the "Latch" system. It essentially attaches to vehicle's seat using a strap with two latches on each end. I replicated this with the expanded steel.

I welded a front a rear stinger to act as stops for the base, so it won't slide foward or backwards.

Anyway, I put way too many hours into this thing but the end result is well worth it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
sweet:smokin:

·
Registered
50 Posts
i don't see the point of this at all...

seems like a bad idea if anything to me... now you have all this rigid steel your kid has to climb all over... not to mention if anything where to happen like an actual accident... you would have been better off designing some sort of restraint system that retains the nice cushioned stock rear seats

·
Registered
413 Posts
After looking again at the pics, I disagree with the above poster. I think that it looks safer than the stock set up.

Now we need a section on Pirate just for family tech!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Looks nice, although, one criticism: The latch anchor to the expanded metal, I'd redo that. Car latch points are hardened steel that won't shear, that expanded metal will tear in a on-road higher speed impact. Off road, would probably be ok, as even the worst off road impacts aren't generating the Gs of normal onroad impacts.

Actually, I'd gusset the single shear belt anchor points as well.

At 40 mph into a solid object, a 30 lb kid puts over 2000 lbs of force onto those points.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nice setup. Looks like the work of a good father to me.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Haggar said:
Looks nice, although, one criticism: The latch anchor to the expanded metal, I'd redo that. Car latch points are hardened steel that won't shear, that expanded metal will tear in a on-road higher speed impact. Off road, would probably be ok, as even the worst off road impacts aren't generating the Gs of normal onroad impacts.

Actually, I'd gusset the single shear belt anchor points as well.

At 40 mph into a solid object, a 30 lb kid puts over 2000 lbs of force onto those points.

I realize now that you are putting a baby seat on the driver side using the expanded steel as an attachment point. I agree with Haggear and would change that. Maybe run some eye bolts through the expanded steel and attach them some how to the frame.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Interesting you all mentioned the latch attachement because orignally I did this but did not install them:
I took 3/8 solid rod and made (more or less) mini U bolts, about 2" wide, 2.5" in over all length. The plan was to drill (3/8") entirely through the pipe, insert the u-bolts and weld the rod/tube at each of the 4 points of contact. The latches would then clip to the exposed round portion of the rod.

Starbucks - I see where you're coming from but entry/exit was part of the design, It's easy for my son to get in and out.

·
Apple
11,695 Posts
Another point on the car seat(IMO anyway), you may want to fold a blanket or set some foam under the car seat when attaching it. Car Seats are designed to be cushioned by the give of the seat they are attached to, Unlike the PRP.

Nice job though, I've thought about making a hardmount bracketed kid's PRP to trade in/out with a regular pass. seat for when my son wants to go.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick and everybody - The latch attachment will get re-done for sure.
I'll post up pics of the finished product when I get a chance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts