Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install a PSC full hydro kit. The question I have is regarding the placement of my pump and reservoir. I understand that the reservoir needs to be the highest point of the system but can the line from the reservoir run slightly upwards to the pump? As it sits now, the line from the reservoir to the pump is running 2" uphill over a 14" span. The top of the reservoir is about 5" above the top of the pump.

I have a 3x9 cylinder, heavy clevis and heim kit and a cooler added to this: http://www.pscmotorsports.com/fhk100p-25-double-end-steering-cylinder-kit-w-ppump-p-634.html?zenid=54qh7e2d4lqj1ot7mrqs0v4b12

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have an opinion on this?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
When I tripled the size of my rez, the top went up (higher) but the lower end also had to go lower. So the pump input hose goes up an inch or so from the bottom of the rez.

Been a couple years, no issues.

Pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think it can be done, but the issue is that you can cavitate the pump since it is gravity fead. Basically requiring more fluid than the res can provide. I had mine about even with the pump and it did not perform very well. I then raised it per direction of PSC and it worked much better. I would think however if the top of the fluid in the res is above the inlet for the pump, it should feed ok, maybe not as fast though. Try it and see what happens...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have done a bit of work and am now looking at a level line, about 6" long, from reservoir to pump. As AzRat stated, I think that it should be OK since the level in the reservoir is still higher than the pump. Making it any higher does not really seem to serve any purpose since you will not gain much fluid weight by moving it up. I chose to space the front of my hood up 1" in the front and 1/2" in the rear and it is not really that noticeable. It is offroad only so appearance is not that important.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The ideal situation is to have the bottom of the reservoir above the top of the pump. In theory, bubbles would go up the tube into the chamber instead of up into the pump. The amount of fluid in the reservoir changes with use and temperature.

Are you running your pump off the top of the belt system? Consider moving it to the bottom.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are you running your pump off the top of the belt system? Consider moving it to the bottom.
Yes, I am running the pump off of the top of the belt system. Here is a picture of what my engine compartment looks like (not my truck though). I am trying to mount the pump above the generator that you can just barely see at the bottom of the picture with the 1.25" thick cable coming out of it.

EDIT. In stock form, there are 3 pulleys in the system - the crank, generator and water pump/fan. There is no room on the passenger side due to the lower rad hose. The engine is a 251cu I6 for those who are curious.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts