Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did PSC's Jeep running the two single end rams do during Peterson's Ultimate Adventure..specifically the steering? I'm looking into a beef hydro assist system for running 42s on a Dodge 60. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I don't know, but good I hope, because I just did a similar setup on my rear steer:

It slowed the steering down a lot compared to when I just had one of those rams, but now my entire system is balanced and I don't drain my resevoir every time both front and rear are all the way extended. I intend to eventually get a super-pump from Station to help speed the entire system up a bit and then I will call my steering finished.

J. J.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was a concern - speed running off a single pump. I hope someone from PSC can chime in to verify if their mod'd 22RE pump could power two rams or if two pumps would be needed.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Don't know. I am running a PSC pump right now and not impressed. It was suppossed to be their high performance pump and it does work better than my old stock pump. But before it I ran one of Station's, which was, I would say, a good 50% faster than this PSC pump. The only reason I went away from Station's is because i burnt it up running it low on fluid for too long. I couldn't afford another one of Station's at the time, so went with the PSC. I've regretted it ever since though. Now Station says his pumps are like twice as fast as the one I USED to have, so that would make them about 150% faster than the PSC I have now. (According to my red-neck math anyway.) So I REALLY can't wait to get one of Station's.

J. J.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
JJ, that steering is confusing to me...are the rams not fighting one another??? A single ended ram travels faster one way than the other...correct? With them facing opposite directions, there is bind...???

Or has this been totally discussed in your build thread and I just missed that part... :dustin:

Dallas just brought up that you may be connecting the two rams by a jumper hose...

Wait, if this has been covered, just tell me so and I'll search for it.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
JJ, that steering is confusing to me...are the rams not fighting one another??? A single ended ram travels faster one way than the other...correct? With them facing opposite directions, there is bind...???

Or has this been totally discussed in your build thread and I just missed that part... :dustin:

Dallas just brought up that you may be connecting the two rams by a jumper hose...

Wait, if this has been covered, just tell me so and I'll search for it.
It doesn't fight itself, but I dont know that I can expain why. But I'll try. ;)

1) The two ports of each cylinder that correspond to their respective right and elft turn actions are tied together by a t. This means that they receive the same supply of fluid.

2) Since the cylinders counteract each other (ie to turn right, one extends, the other retracts), and the cylidners are the same size, all the fluid leaving one goes into the other in equal proportions. Basically, the two cylinders working otgether turn them into a single balanced cylinder as an entire unit. Therefore, for every CID one looses, the other gains. Since they are tied together by a tie-rod, one can't get ahead of the other.

Like someone said, lots of heavy equipment and tractors use this setup. Also, many monster trucks. I'm not sure why. I just did it because I changed my front ram from the single ag unit to a double-ended unit and had the extra ram left over. By moving it to the rear and mounting them high, I was able to get my entire rear-steer system up higher.

I don't know that I explained it clearly at all. :) BUt none of this was ever covered in any of my build threads.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
PS: I just realize that those pics were taken before I had it plumbed, so you can't see how the lines are t'ed off. But here's another similar setup with the lines installed so you can see how they work:

Rest assured, I now have mine installed and it works fine. Like I said, it's slower than with one ram, but its neater, more blingy, and my whole steering system si way higher now.

J. J.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
how do you bleed a system like this???

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I bled mine the same way I have bled it in the past before I had two rams ... run it a little, let it suck up some fluid, shut it down for a while, let the air bubble up into the res, repeat several times over the course of about 3 hours. That's starting with all three rams and all lines completely dry though.

J. J.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i wheeled with Tom and that Jeep this weekend. It worked flawless. He said they drove that thing over 800 miles for UA and it had good road manners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts