Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could a stock pto be run to the back of a cruiser? Was that an option?

I know this is not exactly hard core tech but my brother wants to use his cruiser with a PTO added to the rear as an emergency aireator for his fish ponds in PR.

Ideas?
Also, does anyone happen to have the stock pto (just the part that bolts to the tcase) so I can get it for him?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Jason

I've got an aftermarket Ramsey PTO unit that bolts onto the rear of the 3-speed transfer case, drive gear is on the end of the 3-speed transmission output shaft. From the looks of it, it could be modified to adapt to the end of the 4-speed transmission output shaft (that's what I'd have to do to mount it on the rear of the H41/3-speed transfer case combo sitting on my garage floor). It has outputs front and rear, so would work for your brother's application.

I'll bring it by later today or tomorrow when I drop off your booster from Nolen, that way we can take a look at it and see how it could be done.

I'm not sure if I'll be using it or not. I might go with a Warn 8274 on my '76 FJ40, I already have the winch bumper.

John

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
A stock toyota side style PTO has drive flanges aiming front and rear. There is a stock rear pto driveshaft setup for this style PTO box, although I douct you would find one anywhere.

I think it would be relatively easy to flip a front PTO driveshaft to work aiming towards the rear.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My dad had a factory PTO-driven water pump mounted on the back of an FJ45 troopie ('69), I'm pretty sure it was a factory option and not a custom install. I don't remember how it was operated, though...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Specter sells PTO boxes that only point backwards. I think Charlie Aarons also has a factory REAR PTO winch? (If not charlie someone else.)

Sounds cool.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Mace is it a 3 spd version case or 4 spd?
I have a ramsey that fits onto a 3 spd case that has front and rear outputs....
Butch

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Henry, I believe the factory pto driven water pump for the firetrucks bolted onto the tranmissionoutput shaft under the transfer case cone...Alan

·
Banned
471 Posts
PTO question

There is a factory optional rear PTO for the previously mentioned
firetrucks or water trucks, but they are driven off the rear trans output and not a true PTO type unit. As far as the front and rear
facing PTO, you can't turn it around and point it the other way, the shaft sizing is different and may be pretty expensive to have a custom machined shaft and rear supports and hook-ups. You may be cheaper and stronger to duplicate a tractor type setup with equipment from your tractor supply place.:)

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This will be on a three speed cruiser.

So I just might take you up on the offer!

I figure that making a cruiser work with tractor parts is very fitting ;)

Sweet, he will be very happy to hear this!!!

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts