Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Sammy's ever come with a pto?
If so how hard is it to locate one?

this will go in a old J10 (I think) with a samurai motor..

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
i heard theres a place in finland that sells a kit to put a pto exactly opposite of the t-case input, on that plate........ ken probility knows more details about it.......or sorry, "slowzuki"....:D

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Jason M said:
Did Sammy's ever come with a pto?
If so how hard is it to locate one?
Never offered in North America. They are rare overseas as well. The PTO mounts at the back of the main shaft - if you look a tthe t-case closely you can see where the ribbing is shaped to be milled, drilled, tapped for mounting the PTO.

Brad Potter (rollerskate) has been in touch with someone in Finland about it. He also may have been in touch with that out fit in the UK that makes amphibious cars - they are SJ based and the prop is run off the PTO.

HTH

[email protected]

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: Re: Pto

Root Moose said:

Brad Potter (rollerskate) has been in touch with someone in Finland about it. He also may have been in touch with that out fit in the UK that makes amphibious cars - they are SJ based and the prop is run off the PTO.

HTH

[email protected]

I had a guy from Finland and Australia that were supposed to
smuggle some PTO parts over here when they came to the
USA on visits.Both people let me down so I gave up trying.
I never tried the amphib company in the UK.
Are many people interested in a PTO for the Samurai T-case?
What would you like to see it do? Drive a hydralic pump,turn
another flange?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I have been in contact with a guy that makes the car/boats in europe. He used to be able to buy the inputshaft from suzuki over there. He said that he can't get them any more so he makes a copy by adding an extension on to it. I gave me all the specs for it and the bearing that you need. But I guess the question is- what would we use it for? If I had a reason, I would try it. Any valid ideas?

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tipover said:
But I guess the question is- what would we use it for? If I had a reason, I would try it. Any valid ideas?
Believe it or not it would be used as a aerator in a fish pond in Puerto Rico. What happens is that sometimes they have to kill all of the algae in their ponds. this severly reduces the amount of O2 that the water is able to contain. And it stresses the fish. So you put an axle on pontoons with big paddles and spin it off of a PTO.. I know, hard core to the extreme..:rolleyes: :flipoff2: But I figured that it will have some uses elsewhere ;)

Besides, the dam thing looks better as a farm implement than anything else ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
pto

PTO sounds cool. I have been in need of one several times on my ranch in CO. How much would we be looking at to put a pto on a zuk?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
the issue is how do you want to set it up. The shaft is no big deal, but that is all that you will have sticking out the back of the t/case. It always spins. If one was to make a small chutch assembly like in the tranny, it would be more usable. Thats the hard part. to answer the question the cast to modify the input gear/shaft and the bearing is about $200.00

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
For me the big thing would be a winch on the back end of the truck.

Probably the most logical thing would be to have a look at vehciles that already have PTOs.

I think that foreign market Land Rovers have a whole line of accessories that can be run off the PTO - winches, power tools like chain saws, post hole augers, etc. The hand tools use a flexible shaft not unlike a dremal tool set up (much larger scale of course). I'll try to scare up the pictures from the book I have at home.

Maybe adapt the LR style output to the Sam PTO so then you can use LR tools on it? Dunno how rare or $$$ the LR tools are though.

[email protected]

·
Registered
343 Posts
tipover said:
the issue is how do you want to set it up. The shaft is no big deal, but that is all that you will have sticking out the back of the t/case. It always spins. If one was to make a small chutch assembly like in the tranny, it would be more usable. Thats the hard part. to answer the question the cast to modify the input gear/shaft and the bearing is about $200.00
Probably the easiest way to incorparate a clutch would be to
use the front output shaft and it's coupler from the transfercase.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
excellent idea

1 - 13 of 13 Posts