Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang you pirate faukers. You make guys like me take a perfectly good stock truck and dump a bazillion $$ and hours into it:

Moved the axle 2 inches forward. On 1st gen toys, full flex on 44044s that use the stock mount points in front = pinched fenders.

While I was in there, I removed that old longbed. Probably pulled 2 feet off the length of the truck total.

Designing the flatbed "as I go" w/ the assistance of this board, of course...

Rewired for LED tail lights, added tool box on the end.
Gave up driving an hour and a half to borrow a mig and plasma. I ordered a Lincoln SP-175.

Photos:
Misc build up photos: http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1981 toyota/fabrication/

Still working on half doors:

·
Registered
294 Posts
BrettM said:
say goodbye to rear visablility, i guess it will be good for weight distrubution at least...
dosent look like that box is that much higher than a tailgate would be....but havin all u'r tools back there would suck....every bump u'r junk is gonna be jolted up n down.....but w/e floats u'r boat.....

Like the half doors...maybe make em a lil lower in the front? so when u look at the passanger side from the driver seat, you can see more? and make the drivers match? just an idear

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
Do you people have no tree's where you live? Hell i can see a tree between the cab and box at an off camber angle and having to decide to rip off the toolbox or back up, smash the cab, and try a diff line.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think Mutt is right! That box looks like a rock/tree magnet unless you guard it

·
Registered
409 Posts
Out of curiosity... why not put the box up behind the cab? I'm in agreement, you're going to catch that that thing on everything... the tree scenario sounds about right.

The doors look pretty nice though :)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trees? I'm in Texas. It's all desert and cowboys here.
We've got a few. You maybe right that the box will be a rock / tree magnet - but it's easily replaced - and I haven't finished the flatbed yet..

I don't want the box up behind the cab because I'm planning on adding some rear seats and cutting the rear of the cab out. Trying something a little different. If it doesn't work out, I may move it. I appreciate the comments..

Tan 1st gens kick ass..

·
Registered
33 Posts
DCG... Hey id like to meet up with you somtime, Take an up close look at your rig and maybe pick your brain. My buddy lives across the street and like over 3-4 houses. He has the Z-71 and the bike (SVS). Im in the stock 87 red 4runner that is always there. Hope to learn a little from somone that has more experience than me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here is an idea......
http://www.discounttoolboxes.com/atvrecboxes.htm
The TBV model dove tails , would look cool at the back. Also the footlocker one right above it is low and would fit just about to the outside edge of the frame rails, but no hang way past them, either model would let you put tubing around the edge for box protection and definitely not stick out so much or so high. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts