Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me please!!!!!!!!!!.. I am at wits end on trying to get this motor to run.

everything seems to be in and wired and plumbed correctly.
The motor fires, runs for 2 seconds, then shuts down.

Its acting just like the alarm in my wifes 4.0 ZJ does. When the alarm is armed and you try to start the truck, it fires and dies, fires and dies. But the ECU and the Alarm are two totally different systems non-related to each other. There isnt a different part # for w/ alarm ecu or w/o so i;ve ruled that out.

Is there any chance that anyone has made a wiring diagram, or at least a list of what you wired to where, colors etc. That would help me alot in knowing that i do in fact have it right.

Can you think of anything else that may be causing a problem like this.

na "about ready to put a 357 into his 5.2" te

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
We did a motor swap to a 4.0 in a 99 TJ that originally had a 2.5, and from that little experience, the only advice I can give is to

(1) Make SURE the computer is meant for this set up. If it is a auto tranny and the pooter is for a stick, it won't work. (the Beyotch of this is that your pooter is the same p/n as a four popper)

(2) Once you are POSITIVE that the pooter is a match, put a fuse in EVERY available slot.

Hope this is a little help, but if not, Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I believe that the alarm is tied into the ECU. I know of a guy in Pennsylvania who ran into the exact same problem with a 4.0 out of a ZJ. Changed out the ECU for a non-alarm equipped vehicle and the problem went away.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CSP said:
I believe that the alarm is tied into the ECU. I know of a guy in Pennsylvania who ran into the exact same problem with a 4.0 out of a ZJ. Changed out the ECU for a non-alarm equipped vehicle and the problem went away.
that is exactly what i was thinkning to.. just called the dealer and there is no listing for alarm or not. the ecu computer is the same no matter what.

Any chance you could call yer buddy and find out for sure what was happening?

plleeeeeeeeeeease.. theres a 6 pack in it for you or anyone else that can solve this damn problem.!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
His engine came from a '94 ZJ with a 4.0 and the VTSS (vehicle theft security system). At the junkyard the engine wouldn't start unless they locked the door, unlocked with the key, and then started the engine. Once he got it installed in his CJ it would start and shut down after a couple of seconds. He replaced the ECM with a computer out of a non-VTSS Jeep and the engine ran flawlessly. He tried to find some info on how to bypass the VTSS but couldn't find any.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I know on the 4.0l computers that all of them have the capability for the VTSS. I was told that once it was initiated then there was no way to bypass it, but if the donor didn't have the system activated then there would be no problems. I say try swapping out the ecm too. HTH.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you have an electric fuel pump, check to see if it stays running.
Some systems run the fuel pump while cranking and then need some other signal to the ecm to keep the pump on.

Good luck.
K.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What exactly is the VTSS system consist of? I am not real good with electrical systems, but, for what its worth, when my ZJ got stolen the guy took the chip with him that was at the bottom of the dash board, the one that if its removed keeps the truck from being started. The shop I took it to after it was recovered just “rigged” it up rather then replacing it with a new chip. So, what I am saying is, if that’s part of the VTSS then it can be by passed, it just requires wiring some of the circuits together. If this helps at all let me know and I can narrow the wires down for you (that’s if there is still a 6pack involved haha).

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys. Talked to my buddy at the dealer and he seems to think that replacing the ECU will solve the problem also. I'm going to borrow his code scanner tomorrow night and see what knd of codes this thing is throwing real quick before i lay the dough down for a new ECU. Just in case something abnormal comes up.

Thanks for all the help. I'll bring this BTT as soon as i have a resolution.

Nate.

·
Registered
324 Posts
heres another option for ya. this is what happened to me once. dont know what igniton switch you are using but, on cars equipped with it the key has the electronic chip in it. the spare key that comes with the jeeps or whatever do not have the chip, they are made to simply unlock the door when you lock your keys in it. now if you use the key that is meant just to unlock the doors in the igniton it will crank the jeep, but it will shut it off after two seconds. because it doesnt have the chip. so if you are using this system maybe this is it, maybe you are using the wrong type of key. otherwise maybe you learned something about something non-related :) but i hope i helped, scott

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
I was thinking what slopoke said, but it's a resistor, not a chip. I'd get an ECU from a 5.2L Dakota and see if it works.

Bryan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any helpful suggestions besides those people have already made. However, I am in the process of starting a 5.9L swap into my CJ5, and was wondering if you have any info on how you wired your 5.2.

I plan on pulling the ecu from a pre 96 5.9L engine, since it is apparently easier to work with, but I'm still searching for info on wiring. Got any pics of your install?

Also I know of a guy here in Colorado Springs, CO at Avenger 4WD that did a 5.2L install in his CJ8, his name is Butch. You could try looking them up and getting ahold of him, he might be able to help. (guess I lied, I did have one suggestion.)

Thanks.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TwistedCJ said:
Sorry, I don't have any helpful suggestions besides those people have already made. However, I am in the process of starting a 5.9L swap into my CJ5, and was wondering if you have any info on how you wired your 5.2.

I plan on pulling the ecu from a pre 96 5.9L engine, since it is apparently easier to work with, but I'm still searching for info on wiring. Got any pics of your install?

Also I know of a guy here in Colorado Springs, CO at Avenger 4WD that did a 5.2L install in his CJ8, his name is Butch. You could try looking them up and getting ahold of him, he might be able to help. (guess I lied, I did have one suggestion.)

Thanks.
ok my donor was a '94 ZJ 5.2, 46rh auto.

Wiring was CAKE!

make sure you get the ecu, all wiring and THE UNDERHOOD FUSE BLOCK.

once you have the fuse block. its 4 wires

1- battery constant to fuse block
2- fuel pump from pump relay in fuse block
3- starter- from key to fuse block to starter
4- ignition run - from key to fuse block.

thats it. weekend swap.. once you figure out that the ECU you have is toast.

AND MINE WAS!!!!!!! got it fired up this weekend!

Talked to my buddy at the dealer a few more times.. was givin some low voltages to check at the tps and such everything checked out perfect so i bit the bullet and bought the new ECU. Plugged it in and VAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOM!. RUNNIN GREAT.

seems as though it was the theft alarm all along and that replaceing the ecu made the motor forget about its old alram in the donor.

Thanks everyone for all the help. See ya on the trails SOON. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on getting the engine running.

I'm looking for a 5.9 with less than 20k miles, so unless I can find a pre 96 engine with less than 20K miles, I'll have to wire in an OBDI pcm from a 95 engine to match the newer engine I'll probably end up with.

Because they switched to OBDII pcm and emissions setup in 96, this is my snag. Anyone know where I could find a wiring schematic for a 95 5.9L Magnum V8?

Thanks & Congrats again on the engine.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Twisted,
i think you are looking for a white elephant (pre 96 w/ less and 20K). i have 130,000 HARD miles on the 5.9 in my Ram with no problems. it should go 250k without a complete rebuild.

if i were you, i'd look for a 100,000 mile engine, change out the plenum gasket (any magnum engine will need this done), put in new front and rear main seals, and put a new timing chain on it. it should be fine for another 100,000 if it was, and will be maintained.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Finding a 5.9L magnum V8 with less than 20k is not that hard, there's plenty of them out there, but like I said earlier they are all newer than 96 which means they have the OBDII setup and emissions design.

Does anyone know if chrysler would be able to provide wiring schematics for both a pre 96 engine, and whatever year engine I get? I could probably figure it out from there, like I said I'll just have to get the older pcm.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TwistedCJ said:
Does anyone know if chrysler would be able to provide wiring schematics for both a pre 96 engine, and whatever year engine I get? I could probably figure it out from there, like I said I'll just have to get the older pcm.
I bought a dealer service manual off ebay just for the schematics. They arent cheap, but they are very complete. was well worth the $75 i paid for mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts