Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not new to the Off Road community, but I do want a diverse couple of opinions if you Gentlemen do not mind.

I have spent the last 4 years of my life riding dirt bikes and four wheelers, but now that i am out of college, and making good money, its time to step my game up.

I was looking at a 2004 Ford F-150 King Cab 4x4, and it really really caught my eye. Although a few friends have told me to go after the INFAMOUS Chevy Z71, or Jeep Wrangler, but these are the guys that are driving around in Honda Civics, and VW Jettas.

So please if you have taken the time to read this post, give me a heads up on what to, and NOT to look for when choosing my pick up.

(Im not looking to purchase a brand new truck...'04 is the newest im willing to go)

Thanks in Advance!!!

·
Read Only
14,843 Posts
You gotta say more about what you want the truck for.
You don't list a location, either.

Is it just gonna a "dirt road" driver, rock crawler, or tow rig?
The truck you should get needs to be based on your objective in what you want to accomplish with it.

Tell us more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to use the truck for the annual "Mud Bog Festival" in my old town in Mississippi. I want a truck thats powerful enough to spin the mud off of the tires if i get into something "thicker" than what I thought.

What ever truck i get im going to put a lift, tires, suspension, exhaust, and more than likely a somewhat of a smaller super charger.

So, the kind of truck im looking to get needs to be powerful, not small like an older toyota, and tough enough to take a little punishment.

·
Read Only
14,843 Posts
Sorry, man. I don't know mud at all.
If nobody comes along, try posting this in the southeast US forum below.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am going to use the truck for the annual "Mud Bog Festival" in my old town in Mississippi. I want a truck thats powerful enough to spin the mud off of the tires if i get into something "thicker" than what I thought.

What ever truck i get im going to put a lift, tires, suspension, exhaust, and more than likely a somewhat of a smaller super charger.

So, the kind of truck im looking to get needs to be powerful, not small like an older toyota, and tough enough to take a little punishment.
Of the three you listed, I'd go with the Ford or the Chevy/GMC Z71, simply for reasons of horsepower. If you want power, a V8 is your best bet. With a newer Jeep, you'd have to swap one in (it can be done, of course, but it's more work and more money involved).

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
Chevy K30, 1 ton 4x4, any year. 454/ TH400 or SM465/ NP203 or NP205/ Dana 60/ GM 14 bolt.

Strong drivetrain, easy to work on, aftermarket parts are everywhere.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
^^ I would have to agree with this. The older solid axle chevy's are just too easy to work on and pretty damn tough. If you can score an 87up reg cab k30 it will be fuel injection too.

·
What did you expect?
12,766 Posts
^^^ all of the above, plus parts availability everywhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im a ford guy so i gotta say go with an 2000 or newer superduty. get a 7.3 or a 6.0 diesel chip it and run some big exhaust tons of torque.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Chevy K30, 1 ton 4x4, any year. 454/ TH400 or SM465/ NP203 or NP205/ Dana 60/ GM 14 bolt.

Strong drivetrain, easy to work on, aftermarket parts are everywhere.
I would go with this too.

Just get any older chevy 1 ton pretty much

1 - 11 of 11 Posts