Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and done a lot of reading about relocating the front axle and rear axle on a TJ...

I am not ready to tackle the rear b/c I dont want to / know how to relocate the gas tank in an acceptable fasion. I have seen people raise it 5" and make it levell with the rear frame rail. But I dont know if that is enough to clear the rear diff. I am going to make some long arms, and want to take advantage of the fact that I can make them however I want, like a little longer.

Is it worth all the work to stretch the front out an inch or 2... Looks like Iwould have to relocate the steering box lower to clear the through tube on the frame, the spring pads and spring perches would have to go forward, sway bar links on the axle would have to get pushed back, the track bar mount on the frame would have to get moved forward, (I think that is cast Iron, i only have a mig so I cant weld that I dont think..)

Thoughts, anyone done this. I dont really want to move the frame forward, I like the frame length, I just wish the tires were a little father out towards the ends of the jeep

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Search under P&T Jeep....he did an excellant writeup on moving a TJ front axle forward.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Move the axle forward, make new control arms, leave the springs where they are, make new axle brackets to accomodate. The springs will sit behind the axle. You may want to go futher forward, maybe 4". If you are going to do all that work, make it worth it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You can move it an inch or two without worrying about the steering box. The only thing that is going to get in the way are: trac bar, steering stablizer, and sway bar mounts. My axle is pushed half an inch maybe an inch the only thing that is limiting it is the track bar and the fact that I don't want to over extend the front drive shaft. I cut off the steering stablizer mount and sway bar mount. Currently I have no steering stablizer cause the front axle is being built.

·
Registered
766 Posts
move the front before the rear , ive come uo with a simple way to move your axle foward about 6-7 inches and you dont even have to modify the steereing box , start with a astro van steering box , (same as tj just 180 degrees difference ) cut off your towers and move them forward to accomidate

Jason

·
Top Shelf
2,865 Posts
You can rotate the steering box, use one of the stock holes and make two more. As long as you are going to all of the trouble think about running Air shocks. Ohh Ya you can mig to cast.

·
Registered
205 Posts
move the front before the rear , ive come uo with a simple way to move your axle foward about 6-7 inches and you dont even have to modify the steereing box , start with a astro van steering box , (same as tj just 180 degrees difference ) cut off your towers and move them forward to accomidate

Jason
Do you have any picture of this setup?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts