Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am putting bellows on the axles and was wondering if they were a viable alternative for the transmission and transfer case too? or if they create too much pressure to use them.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I have a small pile of these that were going on my last XJ (axles and driveline), but when I got them and felt how stiff they were they went in the misc parts bin. I don't see anyway they'll work unless they're already very hot and pliable. I've heard there's one or two brands that're very soft, but the ones I bought from PSC aren't useable in my opinion.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I did a Frankenstein 233 in my s10 and used a trail gear bellows. I don't know if it was a good or bad idea, but I've got over 15,000 miles on it so far. Nothing has exploded.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I was interested in this and had posted a thread on it awhile back. What I found was that the bellows are not really big enough to make much differnce. If the temp goes up 50 degrees, the volume of air goes up something like 10 percent. The volume of those bellows is so small as to be of no use.

Some people will say they never had a problem running them. That is because some seals can Eccept some pressure. In the old days, many gearboxes just had a pipe plug with no vent and worked fine to.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Depends on how you will be using the rig. Crawling? No problem. Mixed use of highway and crawling, not a good idea.

I was pushing fluid out of my tcase and both axles (pinion seal on front and hub seals on back). Swapped to regular breathers and no leaks since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts