Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question on using PVC conduit. I am in the process of running PVC conduit throughout my shop in preparation for wiring. anyway i am curious if it is necessary to glue all of the connections. when the outlet box's, junction box's etc are screwed down and the conduit has hold downs it doesn't seem like it can go anywhere. anyway i am new to doing this so i thought i'd ask.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
High5 said:
quick question on using PVC conduit. I am in the process of running PVC conduit throughout my shop in preparation for wiring. anyway i am curious if it is necessary to glue all of the connections. when the outlet box's, junction box's etc are screwed down and the conduit has hold downs it doesn't seem like it can go anywhere. anyway i am new to doing this so i thought i'd ask.
I believe that this is a code question for your local inspector. If you don't need to worry about getting the site inspected I doubt I would worry about it.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
High5 said:
Why use PVC in your shop? Yes it needs to be glued and should use cleaner on it before glue. You need to use expansion fittings otherwise it will expand and contract with temp and look like crap.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joey D said:
Why use PVC in your shop?
why not? i have never done this before and i basically didn't know better if i shouldn't have.

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
High5 said:
it gets hot here during the summer. 105 some days
That's what I figured. Horizontally run PVC's gonna look slinky after a summer of hanging in that heat, but I can't see it from my house.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
extra expense is one reason. Most of the shops I wire for customers I use just Romex and I'm careful how I run it. I use EMT in places that might see some traffic and mild abuse. Like 78bronco460 said, strap it more than code requires or it'll be swopping low in the midlle between straps. Asfar as glue goes, it's not necessary, but on the other hand why not. It'll give it some support aswell. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
231 Posts
romex will work just fine, especially if your finishing interior walls. if walls are remaining open & you want more protection & cleaner install- i would use EMT or MC cable & metal j-boxes. just my .02

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I think you're gonna find that the NEC requires impact resistant conduit within six or seven feet of the floor. I doubt that PVC will survive impacts of just abaout anything that might hit it in the shop. Some localitiess are now even requiring either conduit behind walls, or pieces of conduit where wiring goes through a stud to prevent drilling into the wires when hanging pictures, etc.

Man, I wish I'd remembered my NEC handbook when I retired.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I've hung a lot of both PVC and metal conduit - and I actually prefer the metal, unless I am making an underground run. The plastic is easy to work on, but as others have said, it requires a lot of hangers so it doesn't sag. I generally glue mine - and the heat expansion is a factor with the stuff.

It will work - just not be as pretty. I'd say be careful if there are chances of sparks from welding/cutting becasue they will melt into the stuff and cause chaos when you least expect it. Also, is it that much cheaper than steel? I haven't checked recently but it used to be as or more expensive - at least where I was shopping...

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all of the responses. i should have asked about this BEFORE i started. anyway i have completed all of my runs so I will use it. i will add additional straps between runs to help prevent sagging. as for hitting it i should be fairly good with how i mounted it. there is a main line that runs around the top of the 10ft wall ant it feeds down to everything. the outlets and switch boxes are the lowest points and they are 4ft off the ground. also i will glue as everyone has said. i have everything cut and in place so this week i'll be pulling it apart and glueing section by section. thanks again.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Keep the pictures coming.....maybe keep using your other thread for progress pics?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts