Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at a 94 f250 with a 460, 5 speed.....for $1900...the guy said it was a farm truck and he's got 7 to get rid of...the body is straight, int pretty good, he said it's got 200,000mi in the whole thing but the engine was replaced 27,000mi ago.......he siad the only prob is that second gear is 70% (as in it goes in 70% of the time)....Is this worth still looking into? Or is the overall milage gonna end up being a bigger factor? And say the tranny is bad would the truck still be worth buying and getting a new tranny (cost?) this is for a tow rig

thanks

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
7 others to get rid of? share the wealth man, jiMMy

·
Registered
781 Posts
I would seriously think of the nickel and dime factor of a high miles truck. Farm hands arent known for there gentle touch. The last farm truck I drove had no windows, or headlights, and there was so much dust and dirt you couldnt see the gauges at all.

·
Registered
18,896 Posts
Is it a 4x4?

At that price, it depends on how much time you want to spend fixing it. You could rebuild every major component except the engine (which is already done) for what, 5-7k? And have a basically brand-new truck? I'd do it.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes it is 4x4....XL.....the only int. damage is a hole in the vynal where your heel goes and the petal rubber is worn....it needs new tires........amazingly enough I could take it to MAACO and all they would have to do is sand it...no dents.......as for a tow rig I am wondering what would be ready to go out in the drivetrain

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me Nick. I would expect to have to puat a couple miscellaneous $G's into it, but as said before you should have a nice truck at that point. Ranch trucks are a tough call though, growing up here, I've kinda learned to avoid them. The high miles doesn't always mean freeway on a ranch truck, especially with all of the rice fields, but witha recent engine swap, you should be OK. I've driven a ranch truck with 190k on it and still had the original brake shoes:eek:

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would take it by the condition that this one might have been treated alright.....original chrome front bumper no dents or bends.....and no body dends an a well taken cared of int.......he said he had another one same truck but powerstroke for 2300....but the body was beat....

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I had a 91 f150 that used to be a work truck. hammered as hell, but it was the most reliable vehicle I ever owned, 3 years and all I put in it was an alternator, it had 173k when I got rid of it. great truck, would have kept it if it was extra cab.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the guy was right about the tranny.....but otherwise it was in great working condition....so barring the tiny ass loan going through.....I am buying it :flipoff2: I'm stoked...TOW RIG!!!!!

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
it was a turbo desiel.....kinda beat......from what he said..(I didn't see it but he was driving one in about the same shape) take a bat...... walk around the truck and hit a truck about 4-5 times....and the on he was driving had no door handles (ripped off) etc...
things needing to be fixed (for sure), tranny 2nd gear, tires

Otherwise if I take a pressure washer to the under carrage,and take some time wiping the dust out of the int. it'll be a clean truck......it's stright off the field so after the initial clean up is gonna make it a even better buy....the seat was even covered w/ a seat cover from the get go so that's undamaged

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll be sure to....it's gonna be fun to build up a tow rig...instead of just a rig......I feel old :D (not big tires just load rated tires, trailer brakes, keep it stock, bla bla)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts