Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 72 drum d30 in front,

can i swap in disk from an 84+ cherokee d30?
I ve got a front 30 from an 85 cheroke, but it has the full time hubs, and revers rot. pumpkin will it swap from knuckle out, or not at all?

thanks

Joe

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Okay, I can only give some advice on what I did. I have a 1976 CJ5 which had the factory 11" drums in front. I got a 1984 CJ7 Dana 30 wide track front end with disc brakes and swapped everything from the knuckles out onto the 1976 Dana 30. Use the narrow track inner axles and the wide track outers. Smooth swap.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You will not be able to run the newer D30 brakes. You can run any CJ D30 brake setup or run Chevy caliper stands, calipers & disks from a '78 CJ (6 bolt style caliper stands) Rotors are same thickness as chevy. You can't run the 2 bolt style rotors with the chevy calipers (too thin).

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
just make sure when you start swapping the axleshafts as well that you've got the same size ears on the shafts (260 - 297) :)
And what is the 72 on? CJ? Then you'll also have to keep in mind that the hub size is different ... or are you talking about swapping the whole axle in there ... it's not really clear from your post :confused:

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
inner C's on CJ D30's and YJ/XJ/TJ D30's are different and will not allow the swap you're looking at, not to mention the different bolt patterns.

Look for somebody selling a CJ D30 front and swap the knuckles-out on that.

A more expensive option is to buy a set of alloy inner shafts with x297 ujoint ears, and then use Ford D44 knuckles-out with stub shafts and all; the CJ D30 inner C's are identical to Dana 44 inner C's.

Don't forget to swap in a disc brake MC; the 4-drum MC won't push enough fluid to fully operate any disc caliper.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok.

Ive got a MC and booster from a a 91 ford f-150. does killer with my current brakes.

I would like to swap the brakes only, not the whole axle.

What i read from your posts is that it will not work.

1985 cherokee d30 disks n stuff to 72 cj5 dana 30 drum.

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
84excursion said:
Ok.

Ive got a MC and booster from a a 91 ford f-150. does killer with my current brakes.

I would like to swap the brakes only, not the whole axle.

What i read from your posts is that it will not work.

1985 cherokee d30 disks n stuff to 72 cj5 dana 30 drum.
Correct. Should be easy enough to see by getting out a tape measure.

Cherokee rotors won't fit over the CJ hub. Even if you found a different rotor that worked, there are no caliper brackets on the CJ knuckle. The Cherokee knuckle is incompatible with the CJ inner C.

Find a stock CJ axle with discs. I should even have a set of '84 knuckles I could sell, just buy your own rotors and calipers and reuse your 6-bolt lockout hubs and spindles.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok,

That sounds great.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts