Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a secret to getting these things out? I've got the socket, but I tried to get a sweet pair of flat tops out of the junk yard today and they freak'n "rounded" the castle tops :mad: :mad:

I was told these are set to 25 ft/lbs. Correct? Obviously the last guy didn't know that.

I think I'm going back tomorrow with my imact and all my bodyweight to get those damn things out. p.s. I got my D44 8 lug setup from these knuckles and want them to finish the process.

And if anyone wants to flame me about searching, then we need a better search engine:flipoff2: cause I tried and after 9 pages didn't find a damn thing.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um ok

Ok I thought they were screwed into the knuckle, then screwed onto the ball joint.

Guess I'm screwed?

Pardon me while I perform a rectal craniotomy,

POP

Ah thats better. Thanks. Are there any other tips? Do I need to use two ball joint splitters at the same time? Will the ball joints hammer out from the top?

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
cut off the rounded part

I just helped a budie take one of thies off at a wrecker and we just took off the 2 nuts for the ball joints and a few blows with a 5 lbs sledge and pop it was out

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
uglyscout said:
If you have the big ball joint nuts off - the knuckle shoudl come off with a few whacks of a BFH.

Once the knuckle falls off - pick it up (and your tools) and go home - leave everything else at the junk yard. When you buy new ball joints they will come with the threaded inserts and all the lil' parts you need.
I just bought new Dana ball joint's for my knuckles and they didn't come with the threaded insert's. Coarse I don't need them cuz mine are still good but mine didn't have them in the box. Did you buy a different brand?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
If you buy quality ones (spicer,napa) they always come with the threaded tapers. If you bought quality, and they werent in there, somebody boosted them. If you bought them at Kragen, the lack of inserts is the least of your worries.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well I bought Dana/Spicer joint's(these are the good ones I think) and they weren't in the box. The part's are sealed in a plastic bag so there's no way to boost them unless you rip the plastic bag open. The bag wasn't ripped at all so I beleive I got all the parts that are supposed to come with the joint's. We don't have Kragen (Krapen)autoparts here in the east so no worries there. I used to live in So. Cal and know that Kragen sucks the big one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
When you buy ball joints those inserts come in the package for a reason. If your rig has ever been aligned that is the only way to set the camber. The alignment shop has some of these babys that are offset so they can set your rig after a few miles. If you don't change them and you had the degreed ones in your tires will look like a plow \ / and wear the outsides nomater how you setup the tierod.
:mad: (SUCKS I found out the hard way):mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.