Pirate 4x4 banner

What do you think of the quality of these parts?

21 - 40 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
looks like they need to change the consumables in the laser, they are just like a plasma cutter on tips over time the lens' will get worn an then the nice finishes go down drastically.

·
Premium Member
5,249 Posts
Nothing to add on the cut quality, but damn, 1/2"?? I know it's a deuce and a half, but even so that seems overkill for what's basically a step...

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hah. I mis-typed that. It's 1/4" plate, not 1/2". That WOULD be overkill.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Me too, I was just saying that might explain his take on the laser vs. plasma.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
If I were said vendor, I would get on here also and be like, "looks like they tried to extend the life of the consumables too long," or something like that :laughing:

seems like thats how a hand cut job would come out.

·
Rock Stacker
1,497 Posts
How much did you pay for this pile of turds. If you got a smoking deal then the parts might be fair quality for price. If you spent good money have them give you good parts or a refund and then move onto a quality vendor that can produce quality parts at a accurate and fair price.

·
Vendor
6,979 Posts
Definitely not plasma cut

Approx 4 things could have been wrong in my opinion, 12 years of first hand laser experience on alot of different machines......

A) Those were cut on a 2000 watt or lower machine (1/4" is max on a good day on that small of a resonator)

B) Optics were dirty or out of alignment

C) The mtl was very high in carbon (also may explain some of the poor surface finish of the mtl, very low grade stuff ie: cheap mtl and parts should have been priced as such)

D) Operator was a newb and doesn't know how to run machine, and is also the laziest operator I have ever seen. Most shops have grinders with flap wheels handy......

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
Man, something is wrong with their laser or the operator or something. I am amazed they would even let those out the door. Somebody didn't really look at them before they left I bet. Maybe they just made a mistake in Quality Control.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
How much did you pay for this pile of turds. If you got a smoking deal then the parts might be fair quality for price. If you spent good money have them give you good parts or a refund and then move onto a quality vendor that can produce quality parts at a accurate and fair price.
Good question! Definitely should have said right up front that I paid good money for these parts. I think a lot of you guys would be SHOCKED if I told you who cut these parts. I know I was. All I'm going to say is that they came from one of the bigger sheetmetal fab parts vendors/sponsors on Pirate. I just called them up like anybody else might have, sent them parts files, received a quote, and pre-paid for the whole batch of parts. This wasn't any type of 'get whatcha pay for' kinda deal. And besides the parts being shit for quality, they were over a month late, and even then I only received half the parts I ordered. Seriously. But they have agreed to give me a refund, and I won't do business with them again. Oh well, lesson learned. Would have been the end of it, except...

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
...while I was browsing their website yesterday looking at pictures of their products (to compare the quality with the parts I received), I noticed that they're selling a product that I sent them CAD files to produce. Several years ago, I had talked with the owner of this company about partnering-up to sell these parts, and I sent him CAD files to have samples made. Nothing ever came of it, or so I thought. Now come to find out they've been selling these as their own parts. Who knows for how long, or how many they've sold. Probably not for long, and probably not many. The parts in question aren't anything special - we're not talking about anything worth getting too upset about, except for the principle of the matter. I make my living as a designer and this kind of thing happens all the time, but what the fuck!?! It pisses me off every time.

Their response has been that they didn't use my CAD files to produce these parts. That they re-designed them from scratch. Riiiight. Why the fuck would they do that when the owner of the company told me that he cut sample parts from my files, and that they 'worked great'. Good enough too sell, evidently. Hah. What a joke. I've asked to be paid for the time I spent creating those files, and have been told (very politely) to go fuck myself. Is that how it's going to be? Maybe I should have posted this in the Ballistic Forum.

·
Registered
600 Posts
...while I was browsing their website yesterday looking at pictures of their products (to compare the quality with the parts I received), I noticed that they're selling a product that I sent them CAD files to produce. Several years ago, I had talked with the owner of this company about partnering-up to sell these parts, and I sent him CAD files to have samples made. Nothing ever came of it, or so I thought. Now come to find out they've been selling these as their own parts. Who knows for how long, or how many they've sold. Probably not for long, and probably not many. The parts in question aren't anything special - we're not talking about anything worth getting too upset about, except for the principle of the matter. I make my living as a designer and this kind of thing happens all the time, but what the fuck!?! It pisses me off every time.

Their response has been that they didn't use my CAD files to produce these parts. That they re-designed them from scratch. Riiiight. Why the fuck would they do that when the owner of the company told me that he cut sample parts from my files, and that they 'worked great'. Good enough too sell, evidently. Hah. What a joke. I've asked to be paid for the time I spent creating those files, and have been told (very politely) to go fuck myself. Is that how it's going to be? Maybe I should have posted this in the Ballistic Forum.
OH SNAP! :eek:

I don't blame you, I've seen alot of "stolen designs" come from "not said" dealer.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Every time I think about placing an order with Ballistic again shit ALWAYS hits the fan with someone on here :laughing:
edit: which stops me from spending ma hard earned bucks!

·
Banned
1,436 Posts

$2000 for a file not used after you were told we weren't interested in partnering with you...no thanks.

I pulled the photos from our website earlier today, they have date stamps from 2006.

As stated in my email to you earlier, I am more than happy to provide you with photo documentation that this was a design done by our engineer.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/1998-2004-Tacoma-Extra-CAB-Frame-Boxing-Plates_p_1820.html

This seems strange that you posted all of this here, since I addressed all of your comments earlier in your email.

21 - 40 of 151 Posts