Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got looking at the rear Q panel door and thinking I could create something like that on the other side. Maybe even make them both bigger.

A bit of searching I found Land Cruisers have these and it looks like it would work in a Scout.
I've been kicking around putting some drawers in the bed, or adding some storage in the quarter panel. Scout Tanks has some drawers in his Scout.

Anybody got some pic's of how they store all there stuff?
Another option would be to modify the seat bases so I could stuff a few tool bags under the seats.

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
Ive seen a scout or two with the inner bedside cutout and a box welded in place between the quarter and bedsideto hold amps. It looked like there could be a decent amount of room if you do it right, just not sure how you'd join the box and outer quarter without ruining you paint when welding the two together. I sold my truck before ever going thru with something similar

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I could just make a box and weld that in place, a simple door to just keep stuff from flying out on the trail. .

Here some Land Cruiser pics I found

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
I could just make a box and weld that in place, a simple door to just keep stuff from flying out on the trail. .

Here some Land Cruiser pics I found
Are those panals that are avalable for purchase? Clean and with a little mod (or maybe not), could work for something else....

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are those panals that are avalable for purchase? Clean and with a little mod (or maybe not), could work for something else....
I found the site that sell them. $455 for a set of two, powder coated.

http://www.wagongear.com/Side_Panels.html

They also make a trail gate lid too. I guess we should add that to the list of places to store stuff. I have not seen a tail gate cut up for storage on the Scout just yet. :evil:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Ive seen a scout or two with the inner bedside cutout and a box welded in place between the quarter and bedsideto hold amps. It looked like there could be a decent amount of room if you do it right, just not sure how you'd join the box and outer quarter without ruining you paint when welding the two together. I sold my truck before ever going thru with something similar
This is my thought on putting speakers in, but never used it.

Cut a big hole, insert metal box, weld to inner quarter, then put a regular old speaker and box into the recess.

Same idea for quarter panel boxes for storage.

Keep in mind it'll get beat to crap by stuff flying off your tires, so at least make sure the leading edge is stout enough.

Tying into the outer quarter would be good for strength, but a pain to do, and it would require a repaint.

I'd be more inclined to bring it CLOSE and then affix a chunk of old tire to the outside of the box, jammed between the box and the outer quarter.

Actually, to that end..

Fabricate your sheetmetal box (get a HVAC buddy to help you out) with a flange around one end. Use sheetmetal screws (or an improved variation) to mount this flange to the inside face of the inner quarter panel. As you draw the bolts tight, it would push the storage box outboard against the outer quarter panel. Get the depth right so you can pinch a chunk of rubber in there.

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,200 Posts
Damn, those are :smokin:, but that's some serious $$ to drop. That's exactly what I had pictured in the past, but a whole box inserted as opposed to just the door.

I can't find any pictures on this computer, but if you want them I should be able to find them on my hard drive. What I wound up doing is making a tuffy-like wheelwell box out of plywood. I had it about 8" wide on each side of the bed, and had it go from the tailgate jam to above the wheelwell, about 2" lower than the bed rail. Similar to this guy
but longer over the wheelwell and flat on the top. Had enough room for recovery gear/small spare parts/etc.

Also just found this when searching for that picture. http://www.central4wd.com/inventorydetail.aspx?page=id|78058;folder|78068 Not the same, but more pictures for an idea

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not a Scout II but on my 800 I was thinking about doing something similar. I would be be utilizing the fender wells in the rear for some storage boxes and putting a boat hatch type lid on the inside. I think it would look rather clean and I need all the space I can get in the 800.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Randy P. has a pretty cool tailgate box for fluids and such. He made a lid on the outside to cover the recess in the tailgate and puts stuff in there. So his tailgate looks smooth on the outside like a newer pick up.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Randy P. has a pretty cool tailgate box for fluids and such. He made a lid on the outside to cover the recess in the tailgate and puts stuff in there. So his tailgate looks smooth on the outside like a newer pick up.
That's right, forgot about that. Need to find a pic to post.

I went out there tonight and open up all the existing access holes. The P.O has some 6x9 in the bed too.
Drivers side has the gas filler neck which is bolted to the in the inner panel. So no one big open panel on the drivers side.
Passenger side is wide open to what ever.
I also opened the hole that I created when I put the Nijna bars on. ( where the rear arm rest is/was ) I don't need a lot of room, but some secure places to hold parts, fluids, propane cans, over even just camping supplies would be great. The plan is to pick up some 16 or 18 ga sheet steel and fab something up. I have a bunch of scrap 26-24ga sheet metal laying around which I could use too, but it's galvanized. So that means soldering vs welding the seams.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Aren't you going to use that bed drawer your brother gave you? I like Scouttank's drawers because you can still access the drawers with all your crap piled in the back

I really want to add some storage compartments on the outside of the quarter panel. This is a little over the top but similar to what I was thinking

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aren't you going to use that bed drawer your brother gave you? I like Scouttank's drawers because you can still access the drawers with all your crap piled in the back

The draw is only 12" wide and 5 feet long, so some mods are in order to get that to work. Might be easier to start over. .
I do like having access to my parts/tools/camping stuff without having to dig for it.

I really want to add some storage compartments on the outside of the quarter panel. This is a little over the top but similar to what I was thinking

That would be a lot of work if you want it rain tight.
You would need something with a rain channel built in or make one.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
You might go to somewhere like westmarine.com and look up deck plates and access covers. It also seems to me like a Scout II tailgate could hold a lot of stuff if modded correctly.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I've been kicking around putting some drawers in the bed, or adding some storage in the quarter panel. Scout Tanks has some drawers in his Scout.
He did get stuck before and couldn't open the tire carrier... which means no tailgate down and no tool access! :evil:

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
What the most dangerous tool in the garage????

A sharpie !!!

I got the framing sq out and marked up the rear quarter.

I cut the panel and figured out the Scout is made with 18awg

Off the metal store for a 1/2 sheet of 18awg

I got one side welded in. I also fix my inner fender, which I hack up like 6 years ago. The inside is all welded up too. Should help keep the smog out. The box is about 1/2" or more from the outside skin, its 5 1/2" deep. What you can't see is the box goes up about 2" above the cut. I needed more room on this side, so that meant welding all the pieces in place vs just making the box and welding it in place. The other side I will weld it together and slip in place.

I need to find a good latch before making the door

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts