Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend has a small $300 utility trailer for sale on Craigslist.

In the last few hours he has had two texts from different people asking if it is still for sale, he replies yes, and the person says that they can't come and get it for a few weeks but they will send him a cashiers check for it and will pick it up later.

How does this scam work?
I don't understand how sending him a cashier check and not taking the trailer works for them??

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Did he post the address of where the trailer is stored? If not, they MAY be trying to get said address to come steal the trailer. Normally local PD won't do a damn thing over a $300 trailer.

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
EVERYTHING is a scam, cash in hand only.
Good chance they send too much money on the cashiers check and ask for a refund.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Usually, if he agrees, they send a check in excess of the purchase price and ask that he provide the excess to their 'agent' to pick up the trailer. The check looks legit and the bank deposits it in your account - then after the pickup/exchange the bank reverses the check and he's out the trailer and the cash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There was a guy while ago that sold his Duramax for chasier checks, like $10k turned out they were fake. His truck was never seen again. Not sure how it works though, unless they were looking to come steal it, yeah.

Sent from my 5056N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did he post the address of where the trailer is stored? If not, they MAY be trying to get said address to come steal the trailer. Normally local PD won't do a damn thing over a $300 trailer.
He did not give out his address, but he asked where they were at.......one was from Arkansas, one was from California.....he is in Ohio

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
ANY Cashier Checks that I receive the bank immediately calls the sender before depositing. They said it is a new bank policy. Maybe others will follow

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Depending on the situation. Tell the cops you had your trailer stolen. If you know where it is and they won't do anything about it then let them know your just going to handle it yourself. I bet they help. If it's gone with no idea on the whereabouts then your fucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Unregistered User
9,027 Posts
If only this hadn't been covered hundreds of times. Hell, Craigslist covers it on their site.

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

They send a fake check for more than the item and ask you to send them the balance hoping you'll do it before the bank realizes it's a fraudulent check. You send them money, the check comes back as fraud, you're liable and out the remainder that your dumbass mailed off.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Just say "sure, I would be glad to hold on to the trailer for a few weeks after the payment has cleared, oh and by the way, would you mind adding a few hundred to cover my extra work involved and storage fees? I will release the trailer 30 days after payment clears the bank, look forward to hearing from you".

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
In the last few hours he has had two texts from different people asking if it is still for sale, he replies yes, and the person says that they can't come and get it for a few weeks but they will send him a cashiers check for it...
Scam.

They'll send you too much, tell you to return the change, and it'll turn out a fake check - your buddy will be out the WHOLE amount.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Ask for him to overnight the check or you'll sell ASAP. Give him a fake address so he's paid to mail a worthless piece of paper.

Then either drop contact or ask him to send nudes.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
How does this scam work?
several ways...

- sometimes it an over payment, and they ask the seller to just pay them back with a check or cash at hand. Lots of times the check is just as bogus.

- sometimes its an attempt to phish other information. like the address of the trailer so it can be stolen. or the address of the seller so they can try other phishing scams

·
Meet me at the bar
1,167 Posts
several ways...

- sometimes it an over payment, and they ask the seller to just pay them back with a check or cash at hand. Lots of times the check is just as bogus.

- sometimes its an attempt to phish other information. like the address of the trailer so it can be stolen. or the address of the seller so they can try other phishing scams
I really don't understand the address to come steal it line of thought here. I can drive around my town for 5 min and find several that would be easy to steal. It is clearly about fake money not the item. I have responded to some of these with remarks like "thank you for your interest in my garden house please send check to me" to which I will get back "I need your address." They send the same letter to everybody which is why it says I like your item and not exactly what it is. They have no clue what they were asking you about.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts