Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright i am looking for a used 2500 chevy 4x4 HD. I am thinking about getting a gas burner because diesel is so pricey. Do you thing the 6.0 would be a good daily driver and tow rig hauler? I would say taht i would get a 5.3 but i dont think that they make them like that. I want a extended cab or 4 door, long bed, 4x4......I cant find one with a gasser.

BTW. If this post sounds really dumb itis because i have been up 50 hours.

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
Gas is rising right now, and is catching up to diesel prices. I love my Duramax, and wouldn't change it for a gas motor at all. I can get around 21 mpg on the interstate, around 15-17 in town.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Yes the big chevy gasser will be adequate for a tow rig, it's not going to be as enjoyable to drive as a diesel. Costs are another factor

Given current prices at least where I am gas is around $4/gal and diesel is 4.80/gal

If your gas truck gives you 12 mpg in your daily drive fuel cost will be around $0.33/mile while towing figure 8mpg goes to $0.50/mile

In a diesel truck we'll say 17mpg in daily driving puts the cost at $0.28/mile and towing we'll drop down to the 12mpg figure to give you $0.40/mile in fuel costs.

So while diesel is more expensive the fuel costs calculate to savings, now granted that is essentially offset by the additional maintenance costs of the diesel with more oil and routine oil filter changes.

In th event you find that you want more power the diesel is going to be much easier to add the power than the gas motor.

Just take the time to do the calculations for yourself and see how it works out for you.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Try not to make a long tern decision based on short term conditions. The fact is fuel (both gas and diesel) are fluctuating. They will continue to do so. A truck is a long termed decision. I would say make the best decision based on the long term ownership of the truck. Type of driving, what it will be used for etc. How many miles it will be driven etc. Initial purchase price. There are tons of 80's and 90's 454, crew cab dually's (not 4x4) on the market from $2000 to $7500. Would something like this work then get an econobox? Who knows, but you. You could later swap in a cummins if you wanted or sell it for something later.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I wouldn't go any smaller than the 6.0 if i were you. Running too small of a motor can be just as detrimental to economy as running a large motor. The small motor has to work harder than the larger motor and will wind up burning more fuel while being a liability on the interstate.

For the conditions, I'm going to agree with hadfield. Right now the best buys for a tow vehicle are the 80-97 F350 dually 4x2's with a 460 and 88-98 3500 dually 4x2's with a 454 since no one wants them since they get "poor economy" and are 2 wheel drive.

You can buy one for a couple thousand dollars, buy a crate 514 or 502, put 6 new tires on, do minor mods like shift kits and trans coolers, and still have $15,000 dollars left over to buy gasoline.

Justin

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Especially if you are looking at a new truck, the 6.0 liter is a good motor. I have an '04 2500hd and love it. Would I have bought a diesel? Yes, but I couldn't afford it at the time - the upgrade for my truck was about $5k to get the Duramax. The 6l in my truck hauls very well and I get mid teens with the 5 speed - which I also love.

If the cost of the truck isn't a big deal, I'd go with a diesel.

Where do you live? Under what conditions do you regularly drive?

I live in Pennsyltucky where the winters suck and 4x4 is a must - especially at the top of the hill I live on:shaking:. If 4x isn't an absolute requirement, you also may want to consider different options. A quad cab, long bed is a loooooooong truck to use as a daily drivver - consider that as well.

If you live near PA, I can get you a deal on a mid 80s crew long bed with a fuel injected 454...

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I'm towing with a 2500HD with the 8.1/Allison. The prices on low mile, VERY '01+ nice examples of these are under $12k right now.

I get 12mpg empty, and 9 towing (cruise set 5-10 over, decent amount of hills), and no hill slows me down.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
if you want a tow rig now is the time to buy. there are tons on the market now and dealers can't give them away.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
I wish I woulda waited a big longer to purchase my diesel. But I'm very happy with my LBZ...especially since we get diesel down here for about $2.35 a gallon with a 5 minute drive into Mexico. But if you're dead set on a gasser, the 6.0 will get the job done to tow a rig.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where do you live? Under what conditions do you regularly drive?
I think that is a very important question. I would also add - what will you be towing?

Here in Colorado, a diesel is just about the only way to go. To get up over the big passes you need that kind of power. If you're in Kansas and never planning to go anywhere else, a gasser would probably be fine.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'm towing with a 2500HD with the 8.1/Allison. The prices on low mile, VERY '01+ nice examples of these are under $12k right now.

I get 12mpg empty, and 9 towing (cruise set 5-10 over, decent amount of hills), and no hill slows me down.
Not to mention that in my experience the 6.0L gets pretty much the same mileage cruising around unloaded as the 8.1L.

The 6.0L is a nice motor, but for some reason every example I have ever dealt with gets crappy mileage for some reason.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I have a 5.4 in my FX4 with a CC and LB while I cant match the 6.0 PSD's in power I get 22 if I feather it on the interstate unloaded and 16 loaded. Cheaper to fill up and oil changes cost less a new engine should last 300K period either gas or diesel. You wont be king of the hill but you will get there at a decent time.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
6.0 will pull just fine, like eveyone has said though, it gets crappy mileage. I get 13.4 in mixed driving, unloaded and not footing it. Has 265 BFG at's on it. Computer work will help things but not a ton.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Check out the thread I started a while back about these trucks. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660907

Good reviews. I bought myself a 2003 K2500HD with the 6.0/4L80E combo and love it. I put a leveling kit on it and am running H2 takeoffs (metric equivilent to a 35"). Mileage isn't great, but even with the 35's I can put 2K in the bed and it gets up and goes just fine.

I will be investing in some air-bags shortly for the rear, as with the leveling kit on it, it ofcourse eliminates the factory design for the suspenion to level out under load so I end up cruising around nose high. But personally I think the trucks just look horrible with the nose slammed, and after leveling it out and putting new shocks on it the truck rides 100x's better then before.

When test driving pay attention to the gauge cluster, they are a very common problem in the new body style trucks (not the 07 and newer trucks). They will tend to stick or move like a second hand of a clock and then eventaully just completly stop working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts