Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do tubular gussets have to be symetrical? I'm adding a gusset to the left and right side of a piece of tubing, and I'm planning on making one of the gussets longer than the other one. Any problem with this. I think it's fine, but all the ones I see are the same on both sides.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
This ain't a space ship-errr maybe that isn't the best example.

I am assuming you mean on both sides of the same tube, as in NOT the opposite spreader for instance. most people build equal ones for looks so people don't laugh at you.

assymetrical design is fine if you make both gussets strong enough.

if you are building stuff I can only assume you have the knowledge to decide for yourself if the gussets are strong enough,

without a pic though maybe if you are unsure ask somone you trust in person to give you advise..

I wouldn't worry about it I made sure the "weakest" side in question is strong enough then the other one should be, in terms or large/small gussets.

the only other thing to consider is if the gusset will try to bend the tube on impact in the direction that the shorter or longer gusset will give it leverage to bend it more, like a "kink" spot.

if that makes any sence:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Yeah, I was wonfering about the "kink". I don't think it'll be a problem. The gussets will be on the same tube. It would be like this:
1 2 3
\ ! /
\ !/
\ !
\ !
!
!
!
Column 1 is the long gusset, coulmn 2 is the main tube, and coulmn 3 is the short gusset. This is for the rear of a CJ style rear cage. The main tube (#2 above) would go from the main hoop to the rear wheel well, #1 would go towards the center of the main hoop, and #3 would actually go down towards the floor on the side. PS--Never mind about the drawing, it comes out wrong after I post, Oh well, maybe the description is good enough.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts