Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have torn the dash out of my TJ and I am going to put Auto meter gauges back in it. I am only going to use a fuel gauge, water temp. and oil pressure. I noticed that on the temp and oil I can get an electrical or mechanical gauge. Which do I want?

For reference: 97 TJ completely stock motor. Important to me, Simplicity of install but most important that they do their job well.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I would get electrical. Its a lot easier to cleanly run wires than pitot tubes.
x2. Plus there is always a chance it might spring a leak under the dash and that could get messy. Happened to a rig on one of the last trail rides I was on. Oil started covering the floor.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Most electrical gauges have a short sweep, this makes reading them a bit tougher IMHO, I prefer a mechanical gauge with a full sweep electrical coming in second. If you are worried about leaks run an AN hose for the oil pressure, it's not that expensive.

Brewchief:D

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I went mechanical when I had the choice. I prefer less draw on the electrical system(minor as it is)

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
x2. Plus there is always a chance it might spring a leak under the dash and that could get messy. Happened to a rig on one of the last trail rides I was on. Oil started covering the floor.
Autometer sells premade braided SS hoses in 3 - 4 lengths for their mech.
oil gauges. I've never had mine leak in the 8+ years it's been in the CJ7.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would want to agree about mechanical being better than electrical. The water temp. will come with the built-in capillary so the only concern is adapting into the motor. Braided SS lines are inexpensive to buy or have made and will be much more dependable than the nylon tube provided with the gauge. Well worth in cost. 270 sweep will give better accuracy than a 90 sweep. Electrical gauges however can be easier to install and run wires but if a sender starts to go bad can give a false reading. I ran Autometer mech. gauges on my race car for years with no failures or problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Autometer sells radiator hose adapters for mechanical temp guages. Gives you another option for installing. FWIW I prefer mechanical.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The capillary tube (right where it comes out of the bulb) just broke on my ebay procomp liquid filled temp gauge:mad3: Its been through 3 rigs so I'm not too pissed. Just ordered a new one for nearly $100. The oil pressure gauge is still doing fine. The rest of my gauges are electrical but op & water temp are most important and I like to know what they are really doing. I have warning lights on them too, just cause sometimes I'm not looking at the gauges.:p

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am an Internet Idiot! Don't know how to post pics and The only comp. I have access too is filtered heavily and won't allow me to get to sites to post pics. Best I could do Is email them. Or you could search GoVols on this site. I basically stole all his ideas!!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Alright I'll go snap a few and get back. Post em up here if ya can. Give me some time...I truly suck at the internet. Being old sux!

Pics sent!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I like mechanical, with electric gauges you can get innaccuracies if your electrical sytem isn't up to par, or so I've been told. Mechanical just works.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got another question here, i am only going to run a fuel gauge, oil pressure and temp. gauge. Are these Autometer gauges pretty much universal use for all rigs or do I need to buy one specific to my jeep and year?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yes they are universal. You may need an adapter for the sender but no big deal. Of course they won't fit the stock locations.:homer:

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes they are universal. You may need an adapter for the sender but no big deal. Of course they won't fit the stock locations.:homer:
okay, what ohm range would I need for my fuel gauge?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts