Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't 4X4 specific, but since it has to do with suspension travel and axle wear I figured here would be the best place to ask. I have read that on fwd cars decreasing suspension travel via a drop past a certain point will increase CV wear, I'm guessing because the decrease in horizontal distance between the CV/hub compresses the bearings in their cages increasing wear rates at certain points a significant amount, maybe even as bad as metal on metal.

My question is, what would an increase in ride height for a fwd car(about 1&1/4" w/ unequal length CVs) with the axle being stretched do to it's wear characteristics? I've found some stuff about full turn lock being a problem, but I haven't noticed any trouble and it's only going to be for street uses. I figure that w/o a significant increase in wear I can just increase toe in to compensate for the difference and call it a day, but if it would cause me to start going through CVs I should try rehanging the engine and if that doesn't work just put the stock springs back in and call it a day.

Like I said before, this isn't exactly 4X4 related, but out of all the forums I browse, I figured this would have the best info about messing with suspension stuff. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You'll need to worry more about you're shorter CV than longer. You're taking the CVs out of they're normal operational angles either way, but assuming that the CVs are horizontal, raising it a couple inches adds just as much stress as lowering it. Try it and see.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say the shorter CV is at more of a risk, does this mean I should just adjust toe to compensate for the pull from the longer CV since it's the one being stressed the most and call it a day, or would it be better from the POV of wear to rehang the engine so they're both pulling equally? The CVs have gone from around a 40 degree angle to something a little steeper, maybe 43 degrees FWIW.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts