Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinkin in the future of gettin a crawler box. Now, do I need any special transfer case or can I just grab another toyota transfer case and use that? The only thing about a 2nd stock toy transfer case is the whole 2hi-4hi-4low thing. Shouldn't a crawler box just have a hi and a low or can a transfer case be converted to this? I feel like a tard for askin, but inquiring minds need to know.

-Ian

·
Registered
872 Posts
ianbike said:
I'm thinkin in the future of gettin a crawler box. Now, do I need any special transfer case or can I just grab another toyota transfer case and use that?
You'll need to use any 4cly case, these are gear driven as aposed to chain driven found in 6cyl boxes. The back box needs to be a "top shift" unit (has the shifter coming out the top)common on W56EFI trannys. The "forward shift" are unualy found in carbed trucks and has the tcase shifter in the tranny and it has forks to enguage 4hi/4lo/2wd.
Now when you're looking for the back box, you can get on of the "forward shift' boxes and Merlin sells a converson kit to make it a "top shift" with OEM parts...

The only thing about a 2nd stock toy transfer case is the whole 2hi-4hi-4low thing. Shouldn't a crawler box just have a hi and a low or can a transfer case be converted to this? I feel like a tard for askin, but inquiring minds need to know.

-Ian [/B]
The front box will only have 4hi/nutral/4low... you're back box will have everything a stock setup has.......

Hope that is understandable..... :D

-Jerry-

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
what eh said, but to not confuse you, the front case is basically hi or low range. It has no affect on transferring power to the front or rear axles, just added gear reduction.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
You can't just use any 4cyl. t-case. I believe in 89, the 4cyl. t-cases wen't to chain driven. I know the taco t-cases are all chain driven.

·
nice roach.
5,722 Posts
montezuma said:
You can't just use any 4cyl. t-case. I believe in 89, the 4cyl. t-cases wen't to chain driven. I know the taco t-cases are all chain driven.
You can use any 4 cyl manual transmission t case, they are all gear driven so far as I know. THe 4 cyl automatic t cases are a completely different animal as well as the v-6 t cases. taco cases arent even int he same ballpark.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Any 4cyl manual case up to '96. top shifter are prefrred, but a kit is avalable from Marlin for the older forward shifting cases. Auto or V6 cases will not work as a crawler box. There is an adatper to run certain 4cyl auto cases as the rear case in a crawler setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts