Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this old 1968 Craftsman Colormatic 220V welder from an older gentleman selling off his deceased father's real estate.

It works great, and haven't had any issues with it, although I am trying to figure out the settings.

It has two outlets for the test lead to plug into. They are marked A and B.

And the amp dial on the top shows the different settings for A and B for the different thickness of metal being welded.

My question: does anyone have any experience with this welder? And do the A and B jacks represent AC and DC welding?

The guy I bought it from didn't have the owners manual, and haven't found much information on the internet about it.

Thanks for the help.

Lucas

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
im assuming its a stick welder ...

A and B will be the polarity ... test lead = welding lead? i assume the grounding lead only has one plug for it??

i mean .. ill help with what i can ... but there are just way too many details for me to do much good right now.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
The 2 plugs are probably hi and low range and it is probably just an AC buzz box.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One of our mechanics gave me a Montgomery Ward 220 welder it had been sitting up for 10 years, I checked it out wired it up and it welds great. Long live crackerjack boxes!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had an older craftsman like that. AC only, A setting was the lower range and B was the higher, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little more info

Okay, probably should have provided a little more information.

The weld lead (test lead) is the only lead that can unplug. The ground lead is permanently attached.

So its either A port or B port for the weld lead.

I guess it could be a high and a low setting.

Like I mentioned about the dial on the top, it shows the amps/metal thickness of A and B. Now they do differ quite a bit, A vs B.

I have used it on the A setting, and have no problems getting good penetration welding 1/2 steel together on the 180 amp setting.

So maybe B is the lower setting...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have the same , belonged to my father . The a & b are for high and low ranges , does yours have the handle that lifts and the dial sweeps around for amperage settings ?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it does. Colored scale underneath the dial, black in color. Good information, thanks.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
That's the way mine is. Old craftsman 235 AC only.
my father has the same one, the A and B are current range settings like guys have said...it is unfortunately an A/C welder, but i works good enough to build anything youd want in our sport...i built my first truck with it, including the exocage and bumper stuff...its still on the trail today like 3 or 4 owners later and i seriously lacked welding skills when i built it...

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
How about a pic?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a very old Craftsman Color-Matic Continuous Control Arc Welder owners manual that I plan to eventually sell on eBay but mine reads 230 AMP/Connect 230 volt power lines. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but it reads: Insert the tapered plug on the end of the electrode cable into the "A" or "B" outlet jack on the front of the selector plate (depending upon ampage desired).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Connect the electrode cable to the "A" outlet jack, on the front of the welder, if the welding current setting is between 230 to 105 amperes. Connect electrode cable to the "B" outlet jack if the welding current setting is between 105 and 40 amperes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old sixties model Craftsman Colormatic stick welder.

"Anyone know if I can get replacement 'A & B Lead' plug-in cables for old sixties model Craftsman Colormatic stick welder, or an alternative?"

·
Registered
1 Posts
yup

"Anyone know if I can get replacement 'A & B Lead' plug-in cables for old sixties model Craftsman Colormatic stick welder, or an alternative?"
here you go. I cant post links here yet since I'm new, but I'm sure you can figure out what the actuak website address is fron this below,,,,

searspartsdirect.com/model/20ebdn1kqo-000247. that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts