Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 83' CJ7. I'm running 4" springs, 1 3/8 shackles, HD BB ford 9' rear w/31 spline alloy shafts and locker. Up front I have a 75' Waggy Dana 44, "fairly stock as of now", 4:10's, and a AMC 360. I'm looking to run 38" TSL's. It's somewhat of a daily driver, 50% on road 50% off. Will this setup totally over stress everything and result in a cataclysmic implosion of parts, or could I get away with it? I know a D60 or 14 bolt would be optimal, but it's just not in the budget right now or in the near future. Before I pull the trigger on this, I'd like to get some input from someone who is or was, running this setup.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
how hard do you wheel? if your easy on the skinny pedal (very easy), you could get by with the dana 44. ive busted shafts and joints, and i dont wheel that hard, and im only runnin 35s. i now have alloy shafts and super joints, and i havent had any trouble for over a year now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
how hard do you wheel? if your easy on the skinny pedal (very easy), you could get by with the dana 44. ive busted shafts and joints, and i dont wheel that hard, and im only runnin 35s. i now have alloy shafts and super joints, and i havent had any trouble for over a year now.
Well, I'm not out there crazy wheeln', tryn' to destroy shit, but on the same token, I don't want to have to pussy out on an obstacle cuz my rig can't handle it. I would like to be able to roll over any obstacle that my suspension will allow. At some point, "soon", the D44 will get upgraded shafts and u-joints. I have 35" SSR's now and I fuckn' hate em, but I am a big fan of TSL's, always have been.

·
Registered
113 Posts
tire size vs. axle strength

I have been running Dana 44's on 36" tsl sx's for two years now and I have bent 1 rear shaft and twisted the splines on two different sets of shafts.

I am easy on the skinny pedal, but this still happened. I put alloy's in the rear and so far, so good. But you will hear stories of someone's brothers', wifes', aunts', cousin Larry that's been running his 44" Boggers on a Dana 27 and a Amc 20 for years with no problems...IMHO...38" tires are TOO BIG for a Dana 44 and a 9".

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Just like everyone said, cept one thing... It does matter about the skinny pedal, but it's really how you wheel. I broke a 44 shaft with 36s being very easy on the skinny pedal with a stock 5.0 in my YJ just cause it was bound up bad. If you wheel hard enough you will break the living hell outta the D44 as I have mine. The 9" will do OK with the 38s provided you ARE easy on the skinny pedal when you are bound up.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya man! The only reason why I'm on the fence about this whole thing is because...I did run 36" TSL's for two years worth of wheeln' on a 79 CJ5 with stock rears and a 304, without incident until I rolled it. Although, I would not recommend running anything larger than 33's without some sort of an axle upgrade, it worked for me...luck, I guess. I'm just wondering if my axle assemblies are substantial enough to tolerate 38's.
Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just like everyone said, cept one thing... It does matter about the skinny pedal, but it's really how you wheel. I broke a 44 shaft with 36s being very easy on the skinny pedal with a stock 5.0 in my YJ just cause it was bound up bad. If you wheel hard enough you will break the living hell outta the D44 as I have mine. The 9" will do OK with the 38s provided you ARE easy on the skinny pedal when you are bound up.
Were you running stock shafts and u-joints? Perhaps, alloy shafts and bomber u-joints will make a difference in my case??? Or maybe, no mater what, 38's are just a ridiculas size for a D44??

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been running Dana 44's on 36" tsl sx's for two years now and I have bent 1 rear shaft and twisted the splines on two different sets of shafts.

I am easy on the skinny pedal, but this still happened. I put alloy's in the rear and so far, so good. But you will hear stories of someone's brothers', wifes', aunts', cousin Larry that's been running his 44" Boggers on a Dana 27 and a Amc 20 for years with no problems...IMHO...38" tires are TOO BIG for a Dana 44 and a 9".
Was it the front, rear, or both 44's you were twisting shafts in?

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I am running Q/78 TSLs on a front D44.I haven't broke any axles just U-joints.My buddy is running 38" boggers,he breaks the shortside for some reason.We just swapped in another last Sat.The inner spline was broke clean off!Looked like it was cut.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Was it the front, rear, or both 44's you were twisting shafts in?
Yes, both axles are twisting splines. I am running Detroits' in both, lots of "bangin' and clangin' " going on. I wheel a lot in 2-low, until I lose momentum, then shift in the front axle, and away we go!!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Well, I'm not out there crazy wheeln', tryn' to destroy shit, but on the same token, I don't want to have to pussy out on an obstacle cuz my rig can't handle it. I would like to be able to roll over any obstacle that my suspension will allow. At some point, "soon", the D44 will get upgraded shafts and u-joints. I have 35" SSR's now and I fuckn' hate em, but I am a big fan of TSL's, always have been.
if you want to stay with your axles, go with some 36" IROKS, and you should be fine. IMO

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, I guess this is what I'm gathering...that in order to run 38's I will have to replace stock 44 shafts with with alloy and bomber u-joints, but if I wanted to run 36's, stock shit would be fine!?.......................right

·
Registered
320 Posts
a 35" SSR weighs in at 75lbs. and a 38" TSL weighs in at 72lbs. So by going to 38s you will be lowering the load per axle by 6lbs. I would assume that a TSL would provide more traction than an SSR so that could be added stress to the axles. Overall by the way you talk I thing you'll be fine. And you might as well throw some allow shafts in them since it can only help. Just remember that there is more to consider than just the height of the tire.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a 35" SSR weighs in at 75lbs. and a 38" TSL weighs in at 72lbs. So by going to 38s you will be lowering the load per axle by 6lbs. I would assume that a TSL would provide more traction than an SSR so that could be added stress to the axles. Overall by the way you talk I thing you'll be fine. And you might as well throw some allow shafts in them since it can only help. Just remember that there is more to consider than just the height of the tire.
Good point...I'd like to hear more.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Good point...I'd like to hear more.
The lower weight is somewhat relevant, but it misses the point that you have higher torque multiplication with increased tire circimfrence.

Changing your 9" to 35 spline and putting chromo joints and axles in the 44, it might survive with 38's, otherwise I wouldn't go bigger than 35's myself.

I run a 9" with 40's...35 spline ARB, spidertrax housing, true hi 9, and chromo axles. It's all about the parts :)

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
My Currie 9+ axles are "OK" with up to a 37" tire according to Currie. And this rating takes into account the chromo shafts. Stock shafts, even if they were from an axle that was under a truck with a big block, are probably going to be weaker. If you're running a fairly stock 360 (with the accompanying low horsepower rating of those engines), you're probably going to have a hard time turning a very tall tire without the appropriate gearing. With the right gearing for that size tire, you run the risk of snapping those shafts.

I'd be careful on the trail or drop a few inches in tire size.

·
Registered
194 Posts
35 spline

My Currie 9+ axles are "OK" with up to a 37" tire according to Currie. And this rating takes into account the chromo shafts. Stock shafts, even if they were from an axle that was under a truck with a big block, are probably going to be weaker. If you're running a fairly stock 360 (with the accompanying low horsepower rating of those engines), you're probably going to have a hard time turning a very tall tire without the appropriate gearing. With the right gearing for that size tire, you run the risk of snapping those shafts.

I'm putting a Ford 9 inch with 35 splines axles and a spool. Unless you hate spools or have $800 for an ARB, this is a pretty strong setup.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts

Is that the Currie 9 with 31 spline axles and a Ford housing that twists and cracks? My point exactly...the 9 is a great platform if it's done right. Like I said, it's all in the parts.

Example: Tracy Jordan (WEROCK) runs this setup (or close to it). Last season he broke a CTM joint, that's it. And that was a CTM 60 joint.

I've been running the 40's in the rear on the BUILT 9 for two seasons. Many trips through the Rubicon and some time at Moonrocks and Moab as well.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is that the Currie 9 with 31 spline axles and a Ford housing that twists and cracks? My point exactly...the 9 is a great platform if it's done right. Like I said, it's all in the parts.

Example: Tracy Jordan (WEROCK) runs this setup (or close to it). Last season he broke a CTM joint, that's it. And that was a CTM 60 joint.

I've been running the 40's in the rear on the BUILT 9 for two seasons. Many trips through the Rubicon and some time at Moonrocks and Moab as well.
What exactly is your point?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts