Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a ton of good info using the SEARCH, it seems these welders are generally underrated for power and will do more than advertised. What I would like to know is what heat settings are most of you using for 3/16 and 1/4 steel in general? And have any of you had it shut off welding steel in that range? I do quite a bit of welding with a good 75% of work being done on 3/16" steel, rarely thicker than 1/4" and I have a 225 buzzbox as a backup too for thicker material.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Miller 175

I had the miller and was very happy with it. It cut off sometimes on the highest settings. I got to were I could usually stop before it went off. I sold it and bought a millermatic 251 - I needed something to weld thicker metals. I love it. Bought it from a company I found on ebay, they paid shipping. 90% of the time I used the settings miller suggested and it worked fine. I don't remember what the settings were specifically.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
AthlonAJ--what do you mean you do "quite a bit of welding"? You mean that you use the 225 amp buzzbox for welding up the tractor parts or the cornbinder bucket? You weld on a daily basis?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I have a hobart 175 and it has 4 power settings, I normally weld with it in position 3 for 3/16" or 1/4".

Most Miller/Hobart welders are different than say a Lincoln for example which will quit in the middle of a weld once you hit the duty cycle. A Miller/Hobart will let you finish the weld and then not allow you to start back until the machine is ready.

- jack

·
The Piratenite
30,419 Posts
i have a miller 175. i use the miller recomended settings. i have build alot of stuff including a complete tube buggy and never had mine run out of duty cycle. i have also owned the bigger box millers but traded mine in on the small box to make taking it to competitions easer. i don't miss the larger unit. my 175 works for my needs

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
camo said:
i have a miller 175. i use the miller recomended settings. i have build alot of stuff including a complete tube buggy and never had mine run out of duty cycle. i have also owned the bigger box millers but traded mine in on the small box to make taking it to competitions easer. i don't miss the larger unit. my 175 works for my needs
There is something to be said for portability. When my club goes wheeling - we bring everything and the kitchen sink. And one of the guys brings his Miller 175 - way easier than trying to load the other guys Miller 250... It has welded hundred - seriously - of vehicles at the trail head and never needed more power. All it won't do is make decent 'Miller Lockers' :D For that we bust out the Big azz arc machine that is loaded with a crane on the back of one guys trailer...

Some guy may need more power but if your range is 3/16 to 1/4 go with the 175 and buy some cool toys with the left over money.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Shrock said:
I use:
V=6 / WS=75 for 3/16"
V=8 / WS=80 for 1/4"

Mine has never shut off. V goes to 10 and WS goes to 100, so you are not maxing it out when welding 1/4".

Are you running shielding gas when welding or are you using gasless flux core?

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZUK said:
AthlonAJ--what do you mean you do "quite a bit of welding"? You mean that you use the 225 amp buzzbox for welding up the tractor parts or the cornbinder bucket? You weld on a daily basis?
:flipoff2: BWAHHAHA Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm surrounded by livestock and crops here but the only tractor mods I'm doing is on the Lawnchief. "Quite a bit of welding" is that as a side job I've been building XJ and ZJ rockrails,bumpers, whatever.. and just have always used a buzzbox since that's what I learned on and used at a previous job. Just tired of chipping slag so if I could use a MIG for the bulk of the work it would be great. Plus there's a lot of thin sheetmetal projects I have for myself and it's tricky using a stick welder.

I'd say fawk it and get the 210 but since most of the welding is in the 3/16 range it would save me a chunk of $$$ to just get the 175. Need that money to go buy some Amish baked goods down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts