Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the max size wheel I can get away with the factory axles on my 83 blazer without upgrading axles? Its the 6.2 diesel, not sure if they put heavy axles on those or not.

·
Registered
82 Posts
IIRC '83 should have 10 bolt axles. There are a few factors to consider when looking at how big a tire you can run. If you're not getting crazy with it you can probably get away with 35" tires.

I have an '84 with 10 bolts. Personally I don't think they're worth re-gearing to run bigger tires so I'm only going to go up to 33"s

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
this question comes up a lot. i ran 38s for about 6-7 years with 10 bolts, mostly just mud and they held up pretty good. if you try bouncing up a rock mountain with those size tires then yeah they probably wont last long

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
10 bolts- If it was a stock 200hp 350, i'd say 33-35's depend on how you wheel (35's are really pushing it). With the 6.2 oilburner you're safe up to 44's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For what it's worth, I've got a slightly older half ton short bed, small block 400, stock axles, running 35s. I've been abusing it for over a year now, wooded trails, mud, hills and shit and haven't busted anything yet. But I know I will and want to go d60/14b anyway, so it's a moot point.

·
Registered
191 Posts
One thing that rarely seems to come up when discussing this topic (which is a lot) is when the stock axles break it is usually in a really bad spot on the trail. Most of the time the axle and tire/wheel are hanging out 3 feet or laying 3 feet away from the rig. Now a simple pull the broken rig back becomes a recovery nightmare. Or imagine if it happens on a steep hill and you blow the rear wheel cylinder apart and loose all your brake fluid.

I ran 35's with my stock 10 bolts for awhile and I never enjoyed the trails I would always cringe and wait for the infamous "popping" sound.

Some people run huge tires on 1/2 ton running gear and get away with it. I was never comfortable with it and I drive pretty conservatively.

·
Permanent Newb
2,892 Posts
I ran a D44 (8 lug outers) with 40" Boggers on 16.5X14"(!!) Welds for a long time with a Big Block Chevy. Thats a lot of power, a lot of weight, and a LOT of off-set.

And had a lot of fun:

A truss bar, good chromoly axles and CTM joints eventually helped a LOT, but I can still swap a set of stockers in less than 10 mins:grinpimp:

Don't listen to the haters. Put 35's on it, learn how to drive it without breaking axles, and save up for a D60 with crossover steering as soon as you can.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
^ Yup. 10bolts are an okay axle. They just are not up to the task of actually rock crawling. 35" tire and you will be fine. Get new u-joints for the front first thing. The stock joints are most likely worn to shit. Lock the rear and keep the front axle with an open diff. That will get you 90% of the places you want to go. The other 10%, thats what a winch and wheeling buddies are for. Also keep in mind that you will have small driveshaft u-joints. Avoid shock loads to the drivetrain.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I had 35s and broke my front axle. Was from a shock load. Sheared it straight off.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hopefully there is some sarcasm in the 6.2 comments :flipoff2:

On my '90 with a 6.2 and automatic trans the Gov-lock in the rear 10-bolt let go on 32's and no real wheeling. After upgrading to a Truetrac, 4.10 gears, and good 30-spline shafts it never gave me any trouble with 35's and several years of easy to moderate wheeling (this was 15 years ago before I knew any better). I did break several front axle u-joints in the 10-bolt with a limited slip and 35" radials. Upgraded to a 14FF in the rear and adjusted my driving style by keeping the front tires turned straight under power and the front lasted for several more years with the 35's and limited slip.

For how easy and cheap it is to upgrade the rear axle there is no reason not to. Either a 14SF or 14FF is a significant upgrade. If you go for the 14FF you will never have to worry about upgrading rear axles again, then swap the front to 8-lug. That way if you go D60 front down the road you are already set up in regards to wheels and such.

The other reason to upgrade the rear is that if the 10-bolt lets go on the trail or street you can be really screwed. Most of the time if you break the front just shift to 2wd or unlock the hubs and go.

·
Registered
313 Posts
10 BOLTS SUCK

10 bolts are the worst axles ever made in history jeep cherokees have better factory axles go to any auto salvage yard and just start counting the broken worn out 10 bolts on granny grocery getters they arent even worthy of scrap iron prices. now on the 6.2 diesel... yes it may make them last a bit longer because it has such a lack of power... maybe one week longer. upgrade to one tons

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
10 bolts- If it was a stock 200hp 350, i'd say 33-35's depend on how you wheel (35's are really pushing it). With the 6.2 oilburner you're safe up to 44's.
I got the 6.2 non-turbo. Are you saying these have different axles then the 350s? that would make sense, thats a heavy dang engine and trans.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
sheepdog_tx:27286193 said:
I got the 6.2 non-turbo. Are you saying these have different axles then the 350s? that would make sense, thats a heavy dang engine and trans.
He's saying the 6.2 is a turd and doesn't have enough power to break the 10 bolt.

·
Permanent Newb
2,892 Posts
Having a D44 front on 40's taught me how to wheel smoothly and when to pull the winch BEFORE I broke.

Both valuable lessons I still use today. You gotta start at the bottom to be good at the top!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
No, the 6.2 trucks have always used the exact same axles as the gas powered versions. They also used the same transmission.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts