Pirate 4x4 banner

Question on axles

524 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Provience 
#1 ·
I got a 1989 toyota pickup 2 wheel drive. Planning on lifting it with a set of axles, but don't know which ones to use TOYOTA or CHEVY?? I got a set of Chevy axles but not to sure which one. Wondering what would be a good setup on my truck.

#2 ·
Really, it depends on what you are going to do with it.

Out there on in HI, I would suggest getting in touch with people local to the islands. There are a few that post fairly regularly if you cruise the toyota truck section.

Check out the tech articles on the main page of pirate4x4 and go some googling to figure out what axles you currently have. You may be able to sell them to fund some toyota's, or just use those.

For tire size under 37", the toyota axles work well. They are small and lightweight and can hold up with some upgrades. For much beyond that and into the 40"s then you need to set up to dana60 or better axles.

If you have some big gnarly axles currently, you can usually shave them down a pretty good amount to make back some of that clearance if you are going to be running a smaller (~35-37") tire and still be pretty solid.

#3 ·
I would run the Chevy axles but from what I heard, where the springs are located on the frame don't sit on the frame like the toyota axles would like the Chevy axles actually hang off the frame, I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I seen that on the truck I took the axles off from. Cause the axles I got has the springs already, jus debating if I should go Chevy or toyota.

#4 ·
Well, it is pretty dang easy to move the spring perches on the axle, if you want. If you don't, then you just need to make the brackets to mount it outboard of the frame.

Off-Road Fabrication Parts - RuffStuff Specialties

Check out the ruffstuff website. Gravelmaker or garretk here on the board. They make some good stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.