Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to improve crawl ratio by means of transfer case reduction gears, dual transfer case kit, or both. My question is what is the optimal crawl ratio for rock crawling/trail riding and what is the best way to achieve this ratio. I currently am running 5.29 gears. I've heard of reduction gears as low as 5 to 1. Are there any lower reduction gears or do you need lower? How does this reduced crawl ratio affect driveability on and off the trail? What should I do?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Marlin Crawler...period!! Duals, w/ 4.7s in the rear case!! Wtih 5.29s, that's 223:1, ideal fro rock crawling. No effect off trail, cause you shouldn't be using low on the road. Gives you more gears for on trail.

Man, search newbie, you'll get flamed here!! Check out the FAQ!! :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
:shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

do 5 t-cases, you'll like it :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
The best setup is the Dual Ultimate Crawler. Unbolt your transfer case, and bolt on this dual unit. It's got the stock 2.28 gears in front and 4.70 gears in the rear. You can run either case in low or both. With the Dual Ultimate Crawler you have a total of 20 forward gears and 4 reverse gears! Low-Low first gear will put you down to 223 to 1 with 5.29 gears.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Chris Geiger said:
The best setup is the Dual Ultimate Crawler. Unbolt your transfer case, and bolt on this dual unit. It's got the stock 2.28 gears in front and 4.70 gears in the rear. You can run either case in low or both. With the Dual Ultimate Crawler you have a total of 20 forward gears and 4 reverse gears! Low-Low first gear will put you down to 223 to 1 with 5.29 gears.

i havent flopped since i went above 200:1 :rasta:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have two extra transfer cases laying around. Should I buy the Ultimate Crawler kit and sell my extras or just install the stuff myself? Is it very difficult? Should I definetly go with the 4.7 reduction gears or the 5:1s? I've heard that there is slack of some type in the drivetrain when running the dual cases, that is why I asked if it affected driveability. Just want to know the pros and cons I guess.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
For general trail use dual cases is AWESOME. (2.28 X 2.28)

If you get into more of the rock crawling them instal Marlin 4.7's (they are the strongest) in the rear case. (2.28 X 4.70)

If you have some mechanical knowledge the I suggest buying just the adapter and installing them yourself with the use of these instructions: http://www.marlincrawler.com/docs/crawler_installer/index.html

If not then just buy it assemblied so its a bolt-in.

Then after you install that and run it for a while and think you need lower then I would buy Marlins 4.70 gear set and install that.

Also you might try driving someones truck that already has Dual or the ultimate Duals and see what you like.

Aso I would go dual case before 4.7's. It just gives you more gear options!

I use 2 Low all the time blasting up and down gravel roads!

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
i havent flopped since i went above 200:1 :rasta:

The bullshit meter just broke :flipoff2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts