Pirate 4x4 banner

Question on Dana 44 inner axle length tolerances

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ColoYJ 
#1 ·
At what point is an inner dana 44 axle too short for a specific application?

For example, lets say my axle requires a stock length axle long side inner of 33.5 inches. Now lets say I have a warn shaft that measures 33.25 inches. Will the 1/4" shorter shaft make a huge difference? I'm assuming I'll just have a little less spline engagement? At what point do I draw the line....i.e. if a 1/4" short works will 3/4" short work? Just kicking around some ideas...

Thanks,

Mike

#2 ·
I don't think .25" is going to hurt you. I ran a short side shaft that was .5" too short for a little while because I had to. The other side is the one that I kept breaking anyhow. Needless to say I wouldn't go .5" too short again. If you assemble your junk and keep the cross pin out you can get in there and see how short it really is going to be. Usually your shafts stick into the carrier past the side gear so you may only be .120 short or something like that. Just my .01

Easy

#4 ·
EB guy's that swap in a longer shaft have posted they have to trim it if it's 1/8" too long.
I havn't heard about too short.
Also check my web page, I list several different lengths of Dana 44 shafts, mainly 297 U-joint in the 70's.

#5 ·
Too long would be a different story than too short. If it was too long then it would hit the cross pin. Too short just means that there is less spline engagement with the side gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.