Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok need a little info.
i have a 85 pick-up with a 22re w/ dead motor.
have 82 ceilica with a 22r. seems to run good
now can i just take the efi parts off mine and bolt to this block?
i've searched here and it kinda looks like i need a efi intake off a 81-84 celica.
is this true? anything else i am missing?
does anyone know if i can yank out the celicas motor and drop it in the truck and get it moving again. without doing a big time harness change. kinda like the good ole days when all u needed was a little power to the disributor, gas from a carb, and compression and you got a running vehicle. i.e. no computer controlling nuttin!!
and before anyone asks if i am crazy, yes i am, but im thinking about doing a conversion to 3rz, i have a lead on one that i might pick up reasonable, harness, engine, anything else i need to convert it over except for somone to do it for me, lol :D .
but for the moment this is what i got and need to get the truck moving again.
so tell me what you think and what i am missing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just did the opposite in my '84 pu - put the block and head from an '86 EFI engine in it and used all of the original carb. intake and exhaust, etc. and it all just bolted right up and it runs great.

Oh wait, a couple of the exhaust manifold studs are a little different, but it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
the reason the celica intake is used is because it's smaller and fits better. the one from the truck sits a little high and you'll have to cut your inner fender out alittle to make your hood shut.

·
Registered
172 Posts
need 83-84 head

If you want to keep all your EFI stuff get an 83 or 84 Celica head. You will have all the studs and bolt holes for your EFI intake. And those heads work with the dome top pistons. Your '85 head is only good with flat top pistons.

lots of info on similar job on my site:http://web.ncf.ca/ez273/

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys, im planning on pulling the motor from the celica this week-end.
one more question while im at it, the distrib. from the 85 gets input from the ecu, correct?
now does the distrib. from the celica get input from an ecu?
i'm still kicking around the idea of dropping the 22r in and leave the carb on it if i dont have to completely rewire it, just like in the old days little bit of gas, power to the distrib and your off and gone.
this would leave all my 22re parts free while i rebuild it, and make the wanted modifications.
if anyone sees a real problem with this idea. smack me around a little and bring me back to reality. thanks again

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
yup, swap your '85 distributor in. the celica one is only really designed to work with a carb(or pre-85 efi) and it has a vacuum advance

running carbed wont hurt, but fuel pressure might be a problem and your fuel pump is in the tank...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts