Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to bring besides the obvious clothes and stuff?

What are some of the things you guys have learned over the years to not go South without? Pretty much what are the tips and tricks you experienced guys have?

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Single guys should bring their own protection, that stuff gets really expensive at the last moment :D

Get a foriegn or mexican phone plan if your bringing or planning to use your phone, also if you have a smart phone shut of the data reception, that bill will kill you...

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
AT&T and T-Mobile are king in Mexico. Verizon is useless exept in Ensenada and La Paz. I am going to buy a Mexi pay as you go phone when I get down there. Maybe even an air card.

Airtime is about .80 per minute. Texting is the way to go.

edit - I will be getting 5 sat phones. 1 for the race car, and 4 for the main chase trucks. If anyone else wants to get a sat phone, MAKE SURE you get an external antenna (useless in your car without it) and a car charger.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Cash
a few copies of your pasport stashed in a truck or your bag in case you lose it
a sleeping bag, you won't sleep much, but if you get the chance you want to be able to do it ASAP.
Small flashlight, some places have limited power/generator time.

Other odd stuff I can think of, Mexicans love $2 bills, I think most of them think they are $20s, who knows, it's a great bill to tip with.

In Baja Sur they don't get salami for some reason, when I go fishing there I bring some to give to the other white dudes that live out there.

When packing clothes, remember anytime your near the Pacific is going to be really fucking cold, until you hit the La Paz area.

·
The Piratenite
30,419 Posts
A can of wasp spray is a good self defense weapon to have in the vehicle you are in.

Obviously guns are a huge ...as in go straight to jail NO NO

Marine flare Guns with the 12 gauge shells are supposedly legal but I have never carried one. Although bob has. I don't recommend it. If you decide to go tis route....I suggest researching the legality and make your own descision

You will be searched several times at military checkpoints

Throughly clean out your car prior. No seeds, roaches or stray bullets !

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Oh, Jeff Knoll turned me onto this last year, but old playboys.
I brought some down there when I go fishing and going through the "random" military check points, giving old playboys to the Mexicans helps to speed you though. Anytime you go though these check points they are pretty much going to beg you for something for free to give them.

Also, make sure you actually look like the picture in your passport. If you say, lost 100's of pounds and have Mexican decent it will make for a long day crossing into the US.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Oh, Jeff Knoll turned me onto this last year, but old playboys.
I brought some down there when I go fishing and going through the "random" military check points, giving old playboys to the Mexicans helps to speed you though. Anytime you go though these check points they are pretty much going to beg you for something for free to give them.

Also, make sure you actually look like the picture in your passport. If you say, lost 100's of pounds and have Mexican decent it will make for a long day crossing into the US.
ah... pakshish (sp?) as they call them in the middle east, we used to leave "tity magazines" out to be found :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not to steal the thread :shaking:, but how does it work for pilot/co-pilot eating during the race?

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Not to steal the thread :shaking:, but how does it work for pilot/co-pilot eating during the race?
Drive thru Taco stands

:D

2007 I handed sandwiches and fruit to lance and Jason - thanks to Herbst :D

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Bring lots of stickers. Locals love them and they can help get you through check points quicker.

Keep cash in hidden/different pockets and locations on yourself and your vehicle. I like to keep about $40-60 in the wallet max.

If you can, bring two spare tires for your chase truck. My chase truck did a ton of offroad driving in 2007 and I went through 3 tires that year and had to buy one in Cabo and top one off every few hours to get home.

I bring a Jet Boil and instant coffee. There will be times where you are out in the cold late at night waiting hours longer than you thought to see the car and hot coffee makes a big difference!

If you are driver/co-driver and using a pee catheter- trim your pubes.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The one thing that I learned last year is to break your cash into smaller bills in the US. I had 100's and that was a total disaster. 20's are the biggest bill to have. Smaller is better.

Cases of water

Taco stands are everywhere! And, that is about all you will eat for a week!

·
Registered
69 Posts
pre-run

How are we planning the pre-run ?... do we pre-run our section only in small groups as often as possible or are we planning a collective top to bottom pre-run? :emb3:

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
should we be worrried about getting our tourist papers for when we go into baja sur?

when i was 17 big and i went t the mil with BFG pits and jack sypolt. We needed them then, should we need them now?

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
should we be worrried about getting our tourist papers for when we go into baja sur?

when i was 17 big and i went t the mil with BFG pits and jack sypolt. We needed them then, should we need them now?
I'm curious about all that's different about going sur. What extra paperwork is required? Is there extra vehicle paperwork also?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts