Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The artical states.

11) Ford knuckles have a shorter steering arm than the Chevy/Dodge. A 1.5" diameter tie-rod on a stock Ford D60 will just touch the diff cover at full lock. The same tie-rod on a GM Dana 60 would be just over 1/2" away from the cover at full lock.

So if I use a tie rod on top of the knuckle will it give me more room because the diff cover is sloping back at that position? I want to use 3/4 heims and as thick as a rod as possible but I dont want to be macking the diff cover either. As far as stress goes on the rod I have 42's and will be going full hydro most likely so it needs to be as strong as reasonably possible. I was looking through some sites and I can get weld in bungs to fit a 1" I.D. tube but that only leaves me with a .25 wall tie rod and Im thinking something bigger would be better, or something sleaved over the smaller tube. Its a 93 ford dana 60 if it matters

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a late 80's Ford front 60 in my TJ. For links I use Chevy 1 ton tie rod ends, tapped some 1.25 x .219 wall to 7/8-18 and sleeved it with 1.5 x .120 wall. Reamed the ford kingpin knuckles from the top down. I also have a diff guard that has the ring with a strap from top to bottom to protect the ring gear. The tie rod still hits the diff guard (actually my diff guard is also used as my steering stop). I still have a good turning radius IMO, even with the extended 106" wheelbase.

I would guess that if you mounted the TR over the knuckle and did not have a diff guard like mine, you would get lock to lock turning or close to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts