Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a sami before and have been looking at getting another one. yesterday I looked at a nice one and was pretty much sold until we drove it. The temp gauge stayed between the middle of the gauge and three quarters of the way to the top depending on how it was being driven. I can't remember from mine where that gauge ran but I am guessing three quarters up on the high side isnt good. What are some of the issues that can cause this on the sami? It had coolant/water but I didn't poke around much past that. Should I even consider it still or run from this one?

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine has always ran abit between the middle and high with the stock motor. From what I am told it is ok as long as it doesn't go to the top. I would check the thermostat, coolant condition, that kind of thing. Mine now stays at 3/4 with the tracker motor.

·
Registered
155 Posts
my sami alway's stayed @ 3/4or 5/8 on the gauge ...the cooling system is so minimal if any part of it's not working perfectly it'l heat up...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Mine sits about half a needle above the halfway point, and I have a 1.6. It gets just a little bit warmer on a hot day if i push it hard

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my sami alway's stayed @ 3/4or 5/8 on the gauge ...the cooling system is so minimal if any part of it's not working perfectly it'l heat up...
Thanks for the input guys. So at the 3/4 mark or range - everything is working OK, or at least acceptable, I am guessing?

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
If the sammy is in good shape and the price is right, then I'd say buy it. I would do a full coolant flush and replace all the hoses, rad cap and thermostat for basic maintenance reasons. Then you should be good to go!

Worse case its the head, but I'd doubt it. Fan clutch could be bad or simply the rad coolant is too diluted and runs warm. Theres also a good possibilty that the guage is off or the sending unit is old and not correct anymore. Get a infrared thermometer and get it warm and test the engine in a few spots to see.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Check what thermostat is in it. There are at least 3 different levels i hve seen so far and they all directly reflect what you are seeing on the guage. I run a 180 degree unit now and the needle stays right above horizontal (points at the 'wave' in the temp icon). I tried a 192 once and the gauge went much higher than I was comfortable with out here in the desert.

While you are in there, check to see if you have brown 'floaties' clogging up the thermostat. It could be sticking. BTDT

·
Dodge Ram Newbie
415 Posts
think about the clutch fan

I chased this for awhile. I did the flush and the flush again. I changed the radiator cap and had minimal results. A mechanic friend of mine told me that if you rolled up a piece of cardboard so that you could safely insert into the fans path and very easily came to a stop, your clutch fan was probably bad. I changed mine and saw significant results. Needle stays mostly around 1/2 way point as my daily driver.
Loren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts