Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1990 ext cab toyota xtra cab pickup

i recently discovered a possible cam plug/seal leak on the rear passenger side

1. Does anyone know if the plug is the 1/2 moon type or the full circle type of plug? a link to the proper plug would be usefull.

2. Must i take off the intake manny and valve cover to get to it or can i do it without all that work...not that its a big deal but saving time is always a plus.

answers would be great thanks guys =]

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
What in the holy hell are you talking about? Cab plug/seal? Are you talking about a coolant leak coming from a rear passanger side freeze plug? Are you talking about an oil leak coming from the rear passenger side valve cover? Are you talking about a fuel leak from the rear passenger side fuel rail/banjo bolt/dampner?

Pictures man, by god, use pictures.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude im sorry i should have previewed my post, i mean cam plug, not cab plug.

we thought it was the valve cover gasket so we changed that out but we still have a leak so im thinking it is the cam plug.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
dude im sorry i should have previewed my post, i mean cam plug, not cab plug.

we thought it was the valve cover gasket so we changed that out but we still have a leak so im thinking it is the cam plug.

EDIT: I was thinking of something else, :laughing:

Did you put FIPG at the corners where the valve cover goes across the cam..thingy...can't think of the fucking word right now....cam holddown thingy :flipoff2: If not, do that first and if it still doesn't work, or if you want to do both at once, then pull off that retainer and redo the FIPG below it and above the cam rear cover.

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
Just rebuilt mine and it was round. probably have some at the shot still. I ordered a head set the ended up doing a rering also so, I ended up with 2 top end sets. If you want them just pm me and I will give you my #. long drive unless you can't find them

#2 yes it all needs to come apart

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EDIT: I was thinking of something else, :laughing:

Did you put FIPG at the corners where the valve cover goes across the cam..thingy...can't think of the fucking word right now....cam holddown thingy :flipoff2: If not, do that first and if it still doesn't work, or if you want to do both at once, then pull off that retainer and redo the FIPG below it and above the cam rear cover.
no i didnt silicone anything when i did the passenger side valve cover gasket...that might have been what i did wrong because its leaking on the back left corner right near the cam plug. im Just gonna get the cam plug housing and replace that...and maybe the cam housing rear plate too...and do some FIPG and it should have my problem fixed...

this is what i was told to purchase...though i think this would be considered the rear plate...right? i would still need a housing plug?

http://www.drivewire.com/search/?N=...2+4294967092&Ntt=cam+plug&Nr=AND(universal:0)

sorry im crap when it comes to engine stuff.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Round plug and use black or grey silicone all the way around it, take off the valve cover to get a better job of cleaning the surfaces to prevent future leaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts