Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the right front on our 4Runners toe measurements are as follows...

Min 0'03"
Max 0'15"
Actual -1'33"

minus 1 deg 33 mins, does this mean the front of the tyre ( ;) ) has gotta come out from the center of the truck or in?

Not to sure....

Cheers

·
Registered
905 Posts
On a stock 79-85 toyota Pickup/4Runner axle... with stock steering arms... you can measure the length of the tie rod.

It should be 47.24"

I just round up to 47-1/4"

that's center of ball joint to center of ball joint. ;)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops, my bad! :emb4:

Its a 93' 4Runner. (still with IFS)

;) We never got the 1st Gen here, So always forget there is a different one........

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Dan, time to get the string out, and get funny looks from people walking down the street as I tie it around the tyres.......

:D

·
Registered
214 Posts
The problem I have with the string method is (1) if the track width front vs back isn't the same you have to compensate with spacers (off the rim is best) to get them the same. And the tire buldge may bother it some also.

Another way to measure is to take two 3' or 4' straight edges (one for each side) and clamp them (on edge to the brake rotors. Then measure 18" forward from center and 18" back. Then take those points and measure side to side to get the toe in.

A 2nd way is to take a piece of steel like 1x1 angle and clamp/weld a couple of very stiff but bendable pointers on it at about the tire center lines. (or for about $40 you can buy one from the race parts catalogs). Then pick a center point on the back of the tires parallel with the spindle height, set your pointers. mark the points on the tire and then push the vehicle forward 1/2 tire revolution. Measure again and you will have the toe in. Don't let the vehicle roll backwards at all otherwise you lose the loading on the tie rod ends which might make a slight difference.What you don't have is the amount of toe per side. But with the straight edge method you can measure back to a frame point to check that.

And if you get one of those magnetic caster camber gauges for about $120 you can check that also. Although on a solid axle you can't do much about it if its wrong (at least easily).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts