Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of swapping the transfer case out of my ZJ and am in need of some help. I need to know the spline count and the input shaft length of my old np249 case so that the case I get is a direct bolt in.

The spline count is simple, 23, but how do I measure the input shaft length. Is it just the depth of the splines?

Thanks

Cody

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
The ZJ uses a 23spline input which is "short". I believe there is long, medium and short, the ZJ uses short. John White @ JB Conversions can hook you up.

CJ

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish it was that simple. There seems to be no way to tell what length you have w/o pulling the case and measure. I know of 3 people w/ same year, same tranny, same engine, same t-case as me, and they don't all have the same input shaft lenght.

I just need to know what to measure. Is it the depth of the splines, or the distance the shaft sticks out from the surface?

Cody

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
But how much clearance is there supposed to be b/t the end of the output shaft and the back of the input shaft? Did a 2 to 4 wheel-drive conversion on a Cherokee and had to change the input shaft on the 231. I know it didn't go flush w/ the output but does it have to? No probs yet...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts