Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, anybody with an idea, let's have it because I've run out of my own.

It's a 78 Ford, so it is the external reg type. The wiring SHOULD be right, but anyone with some insight on that...please tell me. I'm thinking it about has to be a wiring problem.

The alt worked before and was tested and showed good. The reg also worked good before, but I bought another one just incase.

I jumped the reg and sent the alt to full field charge and at the batt, the voltmeter jumped up to 13.5 or so, but otherwise nadda.

Then I put the test light on the I pole of the reg and to the (+) post on the batt...with the engine off the light is on, with the engine running, the light goes out.

Here's how it's hooked up now.

Alt and reg are both have good grounds
All wiring has continuity(sp?)

reg pole F to alt pole F
reg pole S to alt pole S
reg pole A has (+) 12V constant from starter cylinoid
alt batt pole runs to starter cylinoid, (+) batt side

This thing has me at wits end....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That schematic is basically identical to how the original wiring WAS before.

Now, there is nothing going into the cab, no ammeter or idiot light.

I guess I should have added that the 78 body, along with all of the cab wiring is gone. I put a Ranger cab on the 78 frame.

Right now, getting the charging system functioning is the worst problem I have.

Thanks for the diagram, it is hella better than what I have.

Anymore thoughts on what I am doing wrong???

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Groundhawg said:

I jumped the reg and sent the alt to full field charge and at the batt, the voltmeter jumped up to 13.5 or so, but otherwise nadda.

This thing has me at wits end....

So at least the alternator puts out when you full field it manually. If it was disconnected from the battery, it should jump up to ~50-150 V depending on the RPM. Put an amp meter in series with the field wire "F". It should sink about 4-7 amps with the key on. If not there is a bad wire in the circuit or you have a bad regulator.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The batt is at 12.3V or so...

I ended up doing just what you said, running 12V(+) to the S pole on the regulator but no wire to the S pole on the alt and it went to 13.5V or so at the batt.

On the schematic, the wire to the alt S pole is not shown to be connected to anything...is that right? It worked without it, but I just want to be sure...

Pin Head, I'm gonna check your suggestion out too, one more thing to be sure it isn't, although I'm fairly sure it is my $hitty wiring

:D

Thanks guys:beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.