Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched already for these answers. I've already tore down my box, tapped it, mounted the ram... I can not find anywhere as to which line from the box goes to which fitting on the ram.

Top?.......Side?
l..............l
O=======O--------o

Also, I put a 12x14 or so hayden cooler in line with my resivor, do I still need to make the resivor itself larger?

Thanks
CJ

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I would. The more fluid capacity the better. Replace your pump. I didn't and mine works like crap. I am getting one from PSC.

·
Registered
472 Posts
On my trail gear ram the left fitting on the ram went to the fitting on the side of the box and the right side went to the fitting on the top of the box. I just installed mine this week with a stock V-6 pump and reservoir and a cooler and so far so good at least on the street. Wheeling might be a different story. Here's some directions from TG's site.

http://www.trail-gear.com/hydro-steering-inst.html

·
Registered
138 Posts
Top port on steering box - Route hose to the passenger side of the ram.

Bottom port on steering box - Route hose to the driver side of the ram.

The way the ram is mounted does not matter.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info, trailgears stuff was helpfull,

So was there a verdict on the need to expand my resivour?

Also, I was running ps fluid in the system, I have come to find out that it is supposed to be atf. I have the entire system drained right now, obviously there is going to be "some" ps fluid left in the system, is it ok to switch to atf?

For future searches

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was running ATF but TG recommends only High Temp Synthetic fluid with their set up. It's all pretty much the same crap isn't it?

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
This is how I look at it:

If your using a Toyota PS pump - then run ATF.

If you using a TC style pump (PSC, TG, etc) then run PS fluid.
x2

That's what I did, and I didn't expand the reservoir. I did add a small cooler so that increases the capacity. It works great. It's not one finger steering like some full hydro setups, but I didn't want to be that disconnected. It's just like the name imply's, it's an assist.

·
Registered
880 Posts
i welded 2 reservoirs together like so...cheapest way to do it, works good

and Im running a 12x8 flex a lite cooler

·
Registered
880 Posts
i forgot to mention! fawking search newb! thats what i had to do, what makes you so special?

:flipoff2:

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
i welded 2 reservoirs together like so...cheapest way to do it, works good

When I did mine, I fully expected to be following your writeup and making a new reservoir, but after wheeling it, I don't see the need.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've already got some 3" exhaust tubing to use to expand it. I am just running a little short on time before this weekends ride and wanted to know if was a definate, you have to do it, or try it and see.

I think I'm gonna go with the try it and see approach unless I miraclulsy find more time. I've got a huge cooler on it so I'm allready adding a ton of fluid and cooling. If I put it together and find that I need to add it it won't be that bad to change because its at the top of the system so I shouldn't have to rebleed the system.

CJ

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Top port on steering box - Route hose to the passenger side of the ram.

Bottom port on steering box - Route hose to the driver side of the ram.

The way the ram is mounted does not matter.
I have a few questions that relate to this topic.

In my searching I read that the top port on the box gives fluid when turning left.
So you would want the line from the top port on the box to go to the port farthest from the shaft on the ram, like TG shows when the ram is mounted to the passanger side of the axle and the drivers side of the tierod.

BUT if you mount the ram "backwards" so the ram is mounted to the drivers side of the axle and the passangers side of the tie rod wouldn't you need to swap the lines on the ram so that the line from the top port on the steering box would be connected to the port closest to the shaft on the ram?

I have my ram mounted "backwards" with the lines as I described above, and the ram extends and contracts correctly; however right now the ram feels mostly like a big steering stabalizer, and not so much as a ram assisting the steering. I can literally force the ram not to move with my hands steering back and forth while it is disconnected from the axle and tierod... I have attributed this to the possibility of having a small amount of air in my system still, and I just need to keep bleeding it out.

Is that confusing enough?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a few questions that relate to this topic.

In my searching I read that the top port on the box gives fluid when turning left.
So you would want the line from the top port on the box to go to the port farthest from the shaft on the ram, like TG shows when the ram is mounted to the passanger side of the axle and the drivers side of the tierod.

BUT if you mount the ram "backwards" so the ram is mounted to the drivers side of the axle and the passangers side of the tie rod wouldn't you need to swap the lines on the ram so that the line from the top port on the steering box would be connected to the port closest to the shaft on the ram?

I have my ram mounted "backwards" with the lines as I described above, and the ram extends and contracts correctly; however right now the ram feels mostly like a big steering stabalizer, and not so much as a ram assisting the steering. I can literally force the ram not to move with my hands steering back and forth while it is disconnected from the axle and tierod... I have attributed this to the possibility of having a small amount of air in my system still, and I just need to keep bleeding it out.

Is that confusing enough?
the top port always goes to the passenger side. it has nothing to do with closet to the ram. I would switch your hoses, and welcome to ram assist. it feels like you have air in your system because your hoses are backwards! Fix it before something breaks...

I repeat the top port always goes to the passenger side of the ram. Unless your running some of the FJ steering boxes like Rick stated.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
the top port always goes to the passenger side. it has nothing to do with closet to the ram. I would switch your hoses, and welcome to ram assist. it feels like you have air in your system because your hoses are backwards! Fix it before something breaks...

I repeat the top port always goes to the passenger side of the ram. Unless your running some of the FJ steering boxes like Rick stated.
not arguing but help me understand this. The top port gives fluid when turning left correct? So depending on what way the ram is facing/pushing you would need to have the lines feeding different sides of the ram.

Here is a diagram I found on Google.

The below shows how my ram is mounted to my axle as if you where standing in front of the truck looking at it. When I turn left the top port on my box pushes fluid in the passanger side of the ram retracting the piston. If you flip the direction the ram is pushing you would need to switch the lines so that you are feeding pressure into the other side of the ram which once flipped would still be the passanger side there by extending the ram.

*from google*
If hydraulic fluid is pumped into the ram as shown, the piston will be pushed to the left causing the ram to extend. Fluid from the other end of the ram will be forced out and will return to the reservoir located near the pump.

Fig 8. Extending the ram

Now if hydraulic fluid is pumped into the ram as shown below, the piston will be pushed to the right, causing the ram to retract. Again, fluid from the other end of the ram will be forced out and returned to the reservoir.

Fig 9. Retracting the ram

SOOO after rereading your reply hulk I think we where both correct we where just saying it differently. The top port always feeds to the passanger side of the ram, no matter which direction the ram is pushing pretty much just as you said it. This is the way my lines are run right now so I do not need to switch them...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts