Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I thought it wasn't possible, and we were working on it til early this morning, I was able to get my junk together and actually have a chance to wheel it before the Jambo. This was the first run for both me and Heywood, since cutting our trucks down so long ago.

1st pic. Here's a nice sceenic spot a few miles before the trail. From left to right - Heywood, me, toyrunner, 2KE, and our buddy Terry.

Second (bottom left) pic is 2KE high centering early in the run. Now what color would you say that paint is? :flipoff2:

3rd (top right) is me just testing her out after Eric got un-high centered.

4th. I was feeling left out, so I got high centered, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah IM4yotas, it was nice to go on a run today and what weather, sun, clouds, snow, and hail. And now before the jamboree, in the next couple days get to switch the tranny out, you gonna help? :D there might be some :beer: :beer: in it for you?

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trail is between Gorman (Hungry Valley OHV) and Ojai. It's a cool river bottom that you can do anything from prerunning to some pretty hairy crawling in. It's basically as hard as you want to make it. And today, there was water running down the whole thing, so what looked easy, was not so easy, and what looked a little challenging was time to get the strap out.

It takes a different kind of thinking when things are wet. Usually I just pick my line and point the tires at it. I high centered badly twice today from doing this, because my line was over the top of the rocks, but since they were wet, I got almost to the top, then slid off till I was hanging on both diffs.

Right when I got stuck the second time, Heywood did the same thing 100 feet in front of me, and we were both stacking and hilifting at the same time. Then came snow and gusty winds, and we wanted to get to higher ground as snow turned to rain, and deeper water ran. Heywood unstuck himself as I received a strap from Terry again.

We headed up a winding wash that fed into the river bottom, where we've had lunch on most other trips here. But we stopped half way up to take a steep short twisty climb that looped around and came back down.

On the left, toyrunner is dropping back down into the wash.

Top right is Terry in the same spot, and below is toyrunner's sister who met us up there.

Attachments

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trail is called Badland Corridor, trail 109, or just BC109. That leads up the riverbottom for miles, then there's a tight narrow left turn hiding some huge rocks. Was hoping to make it there today, but 4 stucks, then early rain made us run for cover too early. We know of a short section of the trail named Oil Pan Alley, but not sure which part that is. Supposed to be pretty famous locally for carnage, but I think that was several years ago when 35's were considered big meats:D

Anyways, on the left is Heywood dropping in and taking out a bumpstop. I'm just glad nothing I welded on there broke off:flipoff2:

Right is 2KE gettin some air

Attachments

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We met a couple other guys out there as we dropped back into the wash. A guy in a heep, and a guy in a 84-85 4runner he just picked up for cheap. Just so happens he's on the PBB. He is the red runner with glass fenders/hood and 3.0 V6 swapped in, lower right.

That's me on the left, comin down, and "Two-key" on the top right goin around again.

BTW, I downsized the pics as not to eat up bandwidth, but if you're interested in any particular one, I can post bigger ones, or huge ones. If any of you that were there got good pics, email em to me, and I'll post em if you want. Eric, let me know if you want some for the newsletter.

Attachments

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2KE said:
Yeah IM4yotas, it was nice to go on a run today and what weather, sun, clouds, snow, and hail. And now before the jamboree, in the next couple days get to switch the tranny out, you gonna help? :D there might be some :beer: :beer: in it for you?

Sure, I'll help. Right after you help me build my front bumper, swap in my 5.1 case, and weld the shock mount back in:flipoff2: All by Thurs, and if I'm quick (I'm not!) maybe a quick run to Gorman's rockpiles.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Do you guys run out that way often? I might be picking up an 85 runner this coming weekend, and if so, Id like to break it in with you guys.. I own a Heep now, but should be getting rid of it soon.. hopefully.
Scott
Edit: Im under the GF's screen name... -- 1badpos

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
JeepingGirlfriend said:
Im under the GF... -- 1badpos
Again ?????

Notice the topic Scott, quick little shakedown before Jambo, which is this coming weekend :D :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Brandon, goin over to the shop to start pulling the tranny in about an hour, I will be done and ready to go to the Jambo by Thurs. night. Email me the pics you got for the newsletter.

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JeepingGirlfriend said:
Do you guys run out that way often? I might be picking up an 85 runner this coming weekend, and if so, Id like to break it in with you guys.. I own a Heep now, but should be getting rid of it soon.. hopefully.
Scott
Edit: Im under the GF's screen name... -- 1badpos
Our club runs it about twice a year, but there's usually a group of us going every 2-3 months. Kinda depends on other club runs. If they're lame and we're itchin for rocks, we'll go there.

·
Battle Masher
2,245 Posts
Is it just me or did you guys get stuck on the only two big rocks?

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, just you.

We were actually just playing around on some of the bigger ones on our way through the smaller ones, trying to get to the huge ones, but didn't make it cuz snow/rain came.

Like I said, you can make it as easy or as hard as you want. We were trying to make it harder, and what you saw around us was the easy crap (loose small rocks). Sorry, maybe next time I'll take a pic of every big rock we drive over:flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Im4yotas said:

Like I said, you can make it as easy or as hard as you want. We were trying to make it harder, and what you saw around us was the easy crap (loose small rocks). Sorry, maybe next time I'll take a pic of every big rock we drive over:flipoff2:
That's a fun area, did it several years ago. Hard or easy, your choice :D :D .

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
kinda like hollister, anyone can cruise through the trails, but theres plenty of fun stuf if you make it thatway.

guys like 408jigga can make a lawn and a couple of curbs fun:D

·
Battle Masher
2,245 Posts
I do the same out here, but just seems like you ran into the rock head on. Not trying to be an ass

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, well, I'll try and explain again.

I started with my left front climbing the middle of the bigger rock. Do to the wet stuff and mud, I just slid sideways til the pinion flange was on the rock, then that grabbed and walked me further sideways. In the process of reversing, going forward, turning the tires either way looking for traction, it moved over onto the diff and then the rear diff hung up, too.

Ass:flipoff2:

·
Banned
4,587 Posts
On the subject

of stuck on both diffs...I seem to do that all the time out there and there only :flipoff2:
I blew the clutch up gettin outta that little mudhole I found. :eek:
I am at Adams swapping it out after work so I can get to the Jambo.
Glad I didn't buy a tranny when it WAS the clutch!
You would think Toyota would build a rig to last more than 300K! :rolleyes:
Danny

1 - 20 of 20 Posts