Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
desertoy said:
6. The steering stop adjustment is the most critical adjustment you can do to make you steering components and your Longfields live. To do this you must start by centering your steering box. With your drag link disconnected, rotate your steering wheel from lock to lock while counting the turns of the steering wheel. Divide that # by 2, to get the # of turns from lock position to center. With the steering box centered, hook up the drag link without moving the steering wheel. The knuckle assembly MUST be centered also. If it is not, adjust the length of your drag link to accomplish this. Next, disconnect the tie rod, and with the drag link hooked up and the steering stops backed off all the way, turn the wheel all the way to the left until the Longfield binds. You can tell when it binds by having a buddy turn the hub (tire) while you do this. When the hub (tire) gets hard to turn, the Longfield is binding. Set your stops on the right (passengers) knuckle so that this does not happen. Now turn the wheel all the way to the right and do the same thing. Next, hook up you tie rod and with the Left (drivers) side steering stops backed off turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the RIGHT (passengers)steering stop does its job. Adjust the LEFT (drivers) steering stop at this point. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and do the same thing. This adjustment needs to be checked perodically.
I just put my longfields in and am trying to set my Steering stops but I'm having a problem setting them. I turned the bolts all the way in so that none of them touch when the wheels are turned completely left or right. This way I could start working my way in to where they don't bind and set my stops there. Well, here in lies the problem, they DON'T BIND even like this!!! What the hell is going on?? Should I just set my stops here or is this asking for trouble? anyone have any insite as to why they're not binding?
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
you need load on them. Or did you get the new ones with more angle and they would be fine.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JamisonWorkshop said:
you need load on them. Or did you get the new ones with more angle and they would be fine.
How do I put load on it to see if they'll bind up? I have no idea if these are the new longs or the old.......
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Hubs are locked and it feels the same with the tires cranked all the way either left or right as it does with the tires straight!?!
Jeff

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I think those are the old ones.

I thought the new ones didn't have a ring welded to them? Those do.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ErikB said:
I think those are the old ones.

I thought the new ones didn't have a ring welded to them? Those do.

I kinda figured.....but the new ones do have a ring but it's smaller than the originals but I don't have an original to compare it to.....
Any one have any ideas??
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I replaced the bolts and set them to 1.5" from the face of the knuckle :D :D .

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RE:Todd said:
Any problems with it like that? If not, maybe I'll just do that and call it good! Thanks Todd.
Jeff

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
KING K5 said:

Any problems with it like that? If not, maybe I'll just do that and call it good! Thanks Todd.
Jeff
No problems, except for turining radius :D :D :D .

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I second the longer bolts. If you try to use the stock ones you'll have like 2-3 threads holding it in. They like to fall out or bend easy like that. Just take one down to ACE and pick up 4 more that are 1/2-1" longer.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
KING K5 said:
But I don't have an original to compare it to.....
Any one have any ideas??
Dunno if it'll help, but I bought mine way back when they had the unlimited warranty. Pics:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mine are strange too. My drivers side hits, and the stops on the pass side still have like 3/4" to go with them both turned out the same distance... I want them to both hit at the same time so I guess loner ones are needed...

Are you guys just replacing them with plain bolts or are there longer stops(with the ball end) avalable???

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
You can grind the bolt heads kinda rounded....not quite like stock but should be good enough. I set mine to the fsm spec and ensured that both sides make simultaneous contact.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TNToy said:
Dunno if it'll help, but I bought mine way back when they had the unlimited warranty. Pics:

Yup, that's how mine look so I guess they're the old school ones......hmmm.....
Jeff

·
Registered
25,113 Posts
Kind of a silly thing, but...are you turning the tires when you are checking for bindage (bondage?)?? The joints won't bind if you just turn the steering wheel left and right...

I'm not assuming you are wrong, just checking.

Also, don't the joints *start* to fail after use? I thought they didn't bind at first, but if you ran them with the stops in, they would weaken then fail, and the binding was an indication of weakening?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
RE:Todd said:
I'm confused :confused: Why would you put in longer bolts if you can't get your longfields to bind when the bolts are all the way in???

I had the same problem...with my 1.5" spacers my steering stops before the Longs bind and before the knuckles hit the steering stops (yes on both sides :rolleyes:) I just set the stops to where the steering stopped at, but if there is a way to get more angle I would like to know it too.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
paniolo said:

I'm confused :confused: Why would you put in longer bolts if you can't get your longfields to bind when the bolts are all the way in???

I had the same problem...with my 1.5" spacers my steering stops before the Longs bind and before the knuckles hit the steering stops (yes on both sides :rolleyes:) I just set the stops to where the steering stopped at, but if there is a way to get more angle I would like to know it too.
I was kinda curious about this too...I obviously want the best turning radius I can get, I do have 1.5" spacers (per side) on the front and with my stops turned all the way in I can crank my tires all the way to the left and right, till they can't turn any further (not being stopped by the "stops" or from the tires hitting the springs) just wont turn anymore....and my Longs still do not "BIND"???? why would this be and if I set my stops here am I asking for failure?
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
paniolo said:

Not me, I could feel them binding a little.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Sorry Todd, that response was actually directed at King K5 when he said he might do what you had done with longer bolts.

King K5...I'm not sure if I'm running out of steering box throw or just running into the physical limits of the knuckle?? Anyways I just set the stops a little b4 the knuckles stopped and wheeled the snot out of it at the Chili Challenge. I'll recheck after this weekend and see if I can feel any binding after they've gotten some hard use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts