Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1136 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my thought was for the little quick questions that can be answered pretty quick instead of searching for hours and loosing time on the builds

1 Question anyone know the width of a 7/8 heim? more specifically from the hole center to the outer edge opposite the shank. Looking to see if it will hit my rim when mounted before buying one. Could save me 30 bucks

2 do you guys weld these to the front of the bumper or cut a hole and weld on the back and front.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I think in this section we are all similar and don't really get all bent out of shape for asking a simple question. We all know to search 1st but sometimes you just need a simple answer and move on. Thanks

·
Registered
824 Posts
On my tow mounts, I cut a hole and welded them front of the bumper (on the outside visible section) and then to the frame on the inside of the bumper. I also welded the inside of the bumper but...

Sometimes welding inside and out on the same joint will weaken the spot. Like if you weld both the front and back on a 1/4" bumper, the welds can weaken the parent metal because they are in the same exact location on both sides of the bumper. Depending on the application this isn't usually a problem, but with something like tow hooks (I flat tow with them), it may not be the best option. I'm sure others can chime in with their experience on the subject.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have been thinking for the last couple of months for a new project and since I have a 48 2A and a ls 5.3 basically doing nothing just sitting around I'm thinking of droping the 5.3 in the Willys. It currently has an odd fire buick V6/SM420.

My quick question is has anyone installed an LS motor in a 2A without stretching the front end?

Thinking if I go with corvette crank pulley & accessories it should save a couple of inches on the total length, weight wise from what I have read I think its a wash.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone know if stock exhaust manifolds shrink if not bolted on? The engine i got the guy handed them to me and Went to put them on today and only 2 bolt holes line up. The 2 in the middle . maybe I have the wrong ones

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Ive had to stretch a few chevy 350 manifolds to get all the bolt holes to line up, I made something similar to this

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
anyone know if stock exhaust manifolds shrink if not bolted on? The engine i got the guy handed them to me and Went to put them on today and only 2 bolt holes line up. The 2 in the middle . maybe I have the wrong ones
I had this happen once with a toyota manifold. I barbecued it for like 3 hours, then put on welding gloves and slipped it onto the studs. Dunno if it'll work on everything, mine wasn't off more than maybe a 1/32"

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Has anyone seen just the brace that goes on the back of the hood for sale anywhere? Or the front brace?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whats up fellows, i'm brand new on here. Got a quick question. I'm in the process of building a 48 cj2 with a 4.3, i'm not slacking in the fabrication and mechanic side of it. What axles would be best to run with? No crawling or deep mud. Looking to run 33's.

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Whats up fellows, i'm brand new on here. Got a quick question. I'm in the process of building a 48 cj2 with a 4.3, i'm not slacking in the fabrication and mechanic side of it. What axles would be best to run with? No crawling or deep mud. Looking to run 33's.
Narrow track open knuckle D30 in the front is a pretty easy swap.

I built a full float D44 rear using a factory early cj5 housing for the rear.

It has worked out well for me with a v6, 35s, and lots of rocks and deep snow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a closed knuckle d27 up front right now in excellent shape, its the back i'm worried about. i'm pretty sure it's that crappy d41 in the back. what would be a suitable replacement for the back without spending too much $? The front is a 4.88 ratio.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Is there anyway to change my name (h8sprint)
I have searched this before, I think a moderator can change it for you. I do not know if they will. I wanted to change mine, but never asked. When I picked up my willys I was told it was a 1946, after I researched the vin I found it to be a 1948. Hence the name 1946cj2, I should have just stuck with fishin_rod or silent_hunter when I registered for this site. Those are two nnams I use quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 1136 Posts