Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 1136 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My rear shackles are at that or even steeper. I wanted to tuck the frame side mount above the frame. It functionally works just fine. I don't get any odd handling or anything.

Shackles have an effect on spring rate too. I think the steeper the shackle angle the higher the effective spring rate.

In general I think you want the minimum angle at rest that allows the shackle to NOT cam over to full extension at the maximum droop of the suspension. IE you don't want the shackle to be able to get stuck on droop and try to go the other way accidentally.
I think as long as when the spring is at its longest length the shackle still has an angle on it your ok. I have a trailer that was repaired and the shackle was at a point anytime it hit a bump the spring would lock up against the frame and I'd have to take a pry bar and snap it back down. a quick fix was to weld a stop on the frame not allowing the shackle to swing that far. i know that sound like WTH is he talking about but its hard to explain:flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Is 45* too much angle for a front shackle? I did some measuring and thats what we decided gave the best flex, and the proper ride height. I have mostly down travel due to ride height
Opinions?
Have you ever considered the spring slider shackle? You can set it up for deeper droop... If I did an SAS on a toyota right now that's what I would do.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm setting up some new gears in a D44 and am trying to figure out what the checking depth offset is for my pinion. This is a new Dana/Spicer brand D44 5.38 pinion.

I could see this being:

+5 (circle 5)
+2
+1 ("H")
or maybe none of the above?

The old one makes a lot more sense to me. (+.001)

I found a sort-of similar example. They say the one on the left is +3 and the one on the right is +2.

Moses Ludel's 4WD Mechanix Magazine - How-to: Jeep Cherokee Dana 30 Axle Rebuild

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I dug around a little more and talked to a few people, I think I might know how to read this.

On the old pinion, I think the numbers and letters mean the following:

+1 is depth checking offset
866 is most likely the matched set number
0 is possibly the deviation from centerline in relation to the axles
E is prob the tech who checked the specs on the ring and pinion

So on the new one I found a 2H on the ring gear, so I think that's the match number.
The circle with an S or 5 in it might very well be the tech's initials, (because looking at the other example I see an "N" maybe and then an "X" on the other. Maybe it's O with an S inside so you can't confuse it for a "0" depth.

So that leaves just the upper right quadrant to be the check offset, so I guess it's "0".

That is sorta consistent with the example from Moses Ludel as well.

I'm open to other theories, but I think I'll start there. Which should mean I would add .001" thickness to the original shim stack.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
So, I keep reading that if I delete my AC Pump on my Supercharged Ecotec motor, It will cause problems with the Supercharger but I Can not figure out why it would change anything. I should be able to run the supercharger directly from crank pulley to tensioner to supercharger without any issues unless Im missing something..... I Plan on running a power steering pump in the location of the AC Pump but If this is true Id need to run a Pulley the same diameter of the ac pulley.....

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
say someone wanted to eliminate the factory A/C from a Gen III engine. Is it just remove the a/c pump and get the "without A/C" belt? or is there an idler pulley involved somewhere?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
So I have my stuck mocked up on a 87 tbi 350. All this LS talk has me thinking. Does anyone know the difference in engine mounts to swap to the LS? I can change the actual mount easy but is the location farther way or closer. Also my current set up has 1" between fan and water pump. Will this be the same / closer or farther?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The LS engines can be moved closer to the firewall because they don't have a distributor at the back like the older engines did. That allows you to have more room up front for the fan and radiator clearance. The engine mounts are different, however.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Just to specify I'm referring to a 2004 4.3L v6 out of a silverado

Also wondering if all GM v6 exhaust manifolds share the same bolt up pattern? The ones that came with my '04 won't clean my frame and steering. Was hoping to find a stock replacement. If not I'd be making my own.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The LS engines can be moved closer to the firewall because they don't have a distributor at the back like the older engines did. That allows you to have more room up front for the fan and radiator clearance. The engine mounts are different, however.

Thanks. That would help as I have my engine back to far now. I have a hell of a time pulling the distributor now

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I need to adapt my CK brand tig torch's gas hose to an Everlast machine.

Here's a photo showing the everlast gas hose, and the CK gas hose. I don't know the name of these connectors, so I'm having a difficult time searching online for an adapter. Anyone know of the correct adapter to get the CK hose to fit into what the everlast hose'd female connector? I assume they are both standard fitting sizes, and just a simple adapter is needed. I could probably just zip tie a rubber hose between the two, but I'd rather do it a bit more legit than that.

The everlast connector is a quick connect of some sort, so I need an adapter to get the CK hose into the smaller quick connect fitting. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,072 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
your google fu is better than mine today, thanks!

The torch is a CK flex-loc, and the machine is an Everlast 200DX 120/220. It's air cooled. I won't be doing any high-production run stuff, just simple stuff at home. I think I could always convert to water cooled later on, with a water machine and a water torch? Space is a bit of a premium for me though, so I went with air cooled and an inverter machine.

My goal for the year is to learn TIG, mostly for nice pretty weld on industrial type furniture, but also for jeep stuff and general fab. My MIG welds never seem to look good, I pull the trigger and ZAP it's all over with before I have time to think about it, haha! TIG looks alot slower.

The torch that comes with the Everlast is very bulky, and the cable is stiff like a garden hose! The CK seems to be alot better in both respects.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Have you ever thought about gas welding? Especially for the furniture. Sounds like its all custom made, would be even cooler if you could say you gas welded it.

Its practically the same as TIG welding.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Wesfab,

Also wondering if all GM v6 exhaust manifolds share the same bolt up pattern? The ones that came with my '04 won't clean my frame and steering. Was hoping to find a stock replacement. If not I'd be making my own

I ordered 5 different pairs of headers for my 4.3 looking for a good solution. none of them worked but all had the same bolt pattern. I ended up going with the stock cast manifold that came with it. It was out of a 2013 silverado 1500. It clears the steering fine and the motor mounts. I will need to nick the frame a bit on the passenger side because I offset the motor an inch or so that way.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Glenn, Thanks for the info. I got your PM but haven't had a chance to check your build thread yet.

The manifolds you have pictured look very similar to the ones I have. The manifold themselves look like they'd work, but the bottom flange is where I'm having the issues. Ofcourse all this was during mockup. Now that I have everything bolted tight, and added the 1" body lift, who knows what I'm dealing with.

I've been pondering the idea of making my own log style manifolds from schedule 40 Weld-els. I see that alot of people are using them to make turbo headers, but I cant find anyone using them for exhaust.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
What's an offset d44 out of a Cj5 worth??
2-pc axles, maybe power-lok, maybe 4.88 or 5.38 gears. I'd give $200 for the right unit.

rare 30 spline offset version. I think they came with higher gears and didn't have the good posi. I'd still give $200 for the right one.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
So if it has the odd fire, 3 speed, and D18 which offset 44 would it have?

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
So if it has the odd fire, 3 speed, and D18 which offset 44 would it have?
What year? The only year for the 30 spline was 1971 if I remember right.

If you don't know, if you have pics you can tell by it having a nut on the axle or not. ( 2pc has nuts )

41 - 60 of 1136 Posts