Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to purchase wheel spacers for my 84 toy. looking at spacers that go infront of the disc like the ones from allpro and the ones that go behind the wheel hub like the ones from sky-manufacturing. i know there is a price difference but what one would you use? and why?
thank you.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
It really depends on prefernce, I suppose. You don't have to worry about the wheel studs with the hub ones, but you pay for it.

2stroke: Are those the mcmotorsports spacers? I think the 1.5-inchers are $45 plus shipping each, IIRC. That's the route I'm going to go, and I'll use loctite on the inner studs after a one trail ride to make sure they stay where they belong.

I have the IFS hubs off of my old IFS, but I think I'd enjoy the saved cash, IMO.

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
TNToy said:
SWEET! 2"ers for $52?!? I'm all over that.

Someday.
You don't have any spacers? Them 38's must rub the springs REAL BAD:eek: Either that or you turned out the steering stops so far you need to 3 point to make a right turn at the intersection:flipoff2:

My 33's rub the springs at full lock. Could imagine what the 37's I ordered today would do without spacers:smokin:

Hey 2stroke, those AOR spacers? If so, how much were they? The price doesn't show for m on their web page.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you have access to a machine shop there's a picture of the spacer you need in the link below to do the IFS hub swap. You could have them made and do the hub swap. I personally would rather do the hub swap than run wheel spacers. Spacers put alot of stress on your wheel bearings and wheel studs. If I was using a Toyota axle and wanted the width I would do the hub swap.

Found this page in a search.
IFS hub and brake swap

Or you can try to get in touch with a guy that goes by sw tubeworks here on Pirate. I think he makes these spacers. I don't want to cut his throat on the price so I'm not gonna say how much I think he charges. The price I have in my head is alot cheaper than getting the wheel spacers(all 4) but if interested you need to contact him.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
raptorman57 said:
I personally would rather do the hub swap than run wheel spacers. Spacers put alot of stress on your wheel bearings and wheel studs. If I was using a Toyota axle and wanted the width I would do the hub swap.
I may be wrong here, but I was under the impression that the only difference between the two hubs is that the flange with the wheel studs in it is in a different location? As in, either way, the wheel bearings see an increased load.[/B][/QUOTE]

Besides, Toy front bearings are big, large tires will kill them annually anyway, and they're not terriby hard to change or expensive. Wheel bearings are the "anti-squat" of the axle width world, IMO.

im4yotas: I'm still on the 36s until I get a DD and pony up for some way to widen the front end. Those expensive 38.5s are sitting around getting NOT worn down on the road every day. ;)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
raptorman57 said:
If you have access to a machine shop there's a picture of the spacer you need in the link below to do the IFS hub swap. You could have them made and do the hub swap. I personally would rather do the hub swap than run wheel spacers. Spacers put alot of stress on your wheel bearings and wheel studs.

wrong:rolleyes: thay both put the wheel out further hens more levridge on the bearing. the bearing stays in the same stock spot. i called them to ask what would be the benifit and all thay could say is no 2 sets of lugs.im not saying its not a good product but why do all that work and spend that $ makes no sence to me.get spacers.rockbugies look good and the best price not sure what the diffrence is on tipe of alluminum..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts