Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wiring up a 350 in my cruiser using a used painless kit. The question i have is on the ignition the stock toyota uses a ballast resistor on the firewall, now do i still need this, do i have to put in a diode or a different resistance in the circiut.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
My setup is similar, 350, painless kit. I left mine on there, it works. Is it the correct way to do it? Not really sure. :confused:

I know mine works and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
890 Posts
is it carbed?....hei dist? i just wired mine by myself and ran a staright hot to the hei dist.....no shitty balasts! i could never find the right balast resistor for my 2f....it simply didnt exist....i wont miss frying points ever:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
The need for a ballast resistor depends on what ignition you are running... If you are using an HEI distributor, DONT run the ballast. run the wire right to the IGN terminal on the Dist cap.

If youre running points style GM distributor, junk it and get an HEI.

·
Registered
254 Posts
No diodes, no ballasts for HEI, although both 350s (Astro and POS F-body) my students wired this weekend run after the key is shut off. Apparently, they had a different idea of "hot when in run" meant.
Glo - I'm surprised your HEI runs on 7V. It might run a lot better on 12. You certainy won't be stuck on the trail with a burned out ballast.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Like what was said earlier if you have HEI, no resistor, if you have a distributor with points you will need the resistor or you will burn up you points prematurely.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Ballard said:
Glo - I'm surprised your HEI runs on 7V. It might run a lot better on 12. You certainy won't be stuck on the trail with a burned out ballast.
Beats me, I will pull it off when I get home tonight and see what gives. Hell I've never done this before. :laughing: It's all new to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts