Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got my motorcycle permit and am thinking about buying a new R1, but 12-13k is a big hunk of cash to lay down for something iv never ridden. Although im new street bikes, iv been riding dirt since I could walk, and currently have 00 husky TE610. But my question is does Yamaha have a proving day or some time when I could test ride a bike before purchase? I now that’s what I did on my husky a few years ago.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
trust me....you'll like it! I've ridden that and an '03 Gk1 and I like the gixxer better but that's just me.

I know nothing about the proving day thing. I'm getting a gsxr 750 tonight I think. it's totaled but an easy fix.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have you taken the MSF course yet? If not, take the course before you even go looking at bikes. They hold the courses at the community college on Atlantic, you can often times drop in. You will walk away with your license (no DMV riding test). That course may just save your life.

What ever you do, start small. Don't be stupid like most folks and try to pretend like you have something to prove and go out and buy a Gixxer 1000 because your friends say they are cool. A Gixxer 750 is a good in-between bike, so is the SV-650. Nothing better then walking away from some guy on a bike bike because he can't handle the size in the twisties.

·
Banned
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh, no DMV test sounds good to me? And no I haven’t taken the class yet so I might just drop in, I herd you could do it alameda college, and I was actually thinking of a gsxr, but I heard their allot more uncomfortable to ride? Anybody now? Cuz with my new job I would like to buy the bike by the end of the month

·
Registered
323 Posts
People say my bike is horrible, but I have ridden it 450 miles straight (stopping for water/fuel breaks every hour). It wasn't that bad, just depends on what you consider to be comfortable. Sit on the bike, then take it for a test ride. If you don't like it, move on to the next one you like.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Look at my sig line.

Just be sure not to consider ever owning what I ride.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think he has a Buell from his sig. <edit> soo I type slow :p<edit>
If you are worried about comfort, then you have to consider your size. I'm short so I don't care much. :D
Take the class, but the DMV test is a no brain’r.

My opinion is that the bikes today are so nice, that it is really style and comfort that drive the decisions. I’ve ridden ZX-7’s, 600’s, a GPz550 and some older Japanese cruzers. I get the feeling you’ll be commuting on this bike. Take a long look at the standards. They will be more comfortable in traffic, they have less plastic if you lay it down, and the price tag is much better. And they still go and stop really fast.:eek:

After all that, I don’t know jack about the R-1. :D I know the engine works out great in a D sports racer with close to 200 hp. :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
When I took the DMV test (I also took the MSF course, another story there), it was real easy. When my wife took it about a month later, it was very difficult, I couldn't have done it. I think she got screwed with a racist pissed (my wife is white, and this was in Oakland) off examiner.

·
Banned
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea im like 6 2 so comfort was a big thing, but it wouldn’t be a commuter, just something to bring out on nice summer days and occasionally to the track. And I thought it would be cool to join a club and go on long runs through different parts of the bay area.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
In that case,:idea: get a fast bike:D
For track days I say keep the bike small. 600-750.
For weekend road trips. 750-1000.
Get a twin! They just sound so cool!:cool:

What am I saying, I'm jealouse of just about every sport bike that goes by. I miss riding. That's the main reason I read all these threads.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
I got an 02 gixxer 750 today. I'll tell ya how it is after I put it back together (it's totaled a bit) :D

I liked the last one I rode. but I've ridden a 1k since then sooooo we'll see might need some mods;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
skulltoy said:
Go for a Buell! I have a 2000 X-1 with about $10,000 in mods. They aren't the fastest bikes in the straights, but throw a few curves in and the and the V-twin tourqe takes over!
How many miles are on it?

If you have over 15,000 miles, you have a lemon. They all like to blow at 10,000 (mine went at 12,000). I will never own an HD product again because of thet POS Buell!

I know a lot of people who have had major failures with Buell. That Sportster engine was design to be assembled for that much HP by monkey's.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I live in Colorado and most of the time we have winters here, so mine has low miles I think around 3500:eek:

I just think you had a bad one I know a bunch of Harleys with 50,000-60,000 miles on them.

Mine prob. won't last that long though too many wheelies burnouts, and rev limiter shifts. I only have 3500 miles and I'm on my fourth tire....:D

·
Registered
323 Posts
A Sportster puts out 60 HP (to the wheel), a Buell is pushing more then that. The Buell is not liked by HDC, they build them in hopes that kids will get off of a crotch rocket, and get on to a "real" bike. That explains why they are built like crap (you will gain HP just by rebuilding the engine to factory specs), and why the new bikes lack even more balls.

I ride (sorry, rode) my bike gently (relatively), I have only hit the rev limiter a few times, never topped out the bike, never done a wheelie, never done a burn out. I bout it with 6000 miles, I got 6 month worth of riding out of it (riding season never ends here IMO). I had a bike for 6 months, and I have to rebuild it? This is almost normal? Sad truth, it is. I know a guy who went through 3 engines in 20,000 miles, how do you explain that? He wasn't a 'hard' rider, but he doesn't ride slow either.

Buell has consistantly blamed the owners for thier engine failures. I refuse to go back to a company who blames me for thier POS bike breaking in 6 months.

HD's bikes have much higher quality control, but screw them. I will buy a Honda next (looing at the ST1300 right now). I want something I can ride, and not worry about what peices are going to fall of while going down the road. And if something goes wrong, I won't have to worry about Buell saying "Well, don't ride it like a sport bike".

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I guess I should edit my post.
All the new "non-American" bikes are so good these days...

I think the buell is a good idea, but a poor exacusion. I like the ATK as well. I would love to see a modern American bike for the masses. Maybe Cannindale will try sport bikes next:D j/k

·
Registered
323 Posts
MellowYellow said:
I think the buell is a good idea, but a poor exacusion.
I agree, except that the Buell is barely American. Suspension and brakes are from Japan, lighting and frame are from Italy, I am not sure where else. I am sure most of the electrical is all Asian components. The engine may be American, but that is about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts