Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dustin is going to be our communcations center for the race. Here is his contact info -

Home - 619-449-0003
Cell - 619-820-3332

You can call dustin webster 24 hours a day, he can do status on 8, 1700 and 118.

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
that worked out well :shaking:
If you are referring to the lack of emergency text message, it wouldn't have helped anyhow as we were in a large cell dead zone.

Weatherman was dead at the time and BFG Relay couldn't raise Scott, Chase 6 on our primary. I thought there was a bit of a breakdown on initially using BFG relay to broadcast the news on Pirate primary. I was finally able to put together the whole story via sat phone and by raising BFG relay for an update, but I wasn't able to dial other sat phones. I had to find people in the know who had cell phone service. i.e.- Dustin and Scott. Dustin was a big help.

IF relay had come over 151.970 when it first happened AND someone had known they had the spare hub, then we might have been able to get to the car soon enough to make repairs and get another 50-100 miles out of the car. I'm not sure that anyone who actually laid hands on the car thought it was going to make the full 1061. I was finding stuff we missed looking at the car on the trailer at the San Nic and in pictures on PBB after I was back in Texas. As is so common in racing, there simply weren't enough hours in the day both before the car reached Ensenada and after. We didn't do terrible for a half staffed, rookie effort though.

Aaron, were you or were you not at Mike's Sky Ranch while the race car was being prepped? Don't throw stones, brother.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I think what he's referring to is I texted Dustin around 12:20 and said I did not get a text saying the racecar left the line.
He said he is only sending us critical updates.
I responded saying "I thought Lance was going to have you send out updates every 1/2 hour with where the race car is."
He said no.
No matter what, I did not get a text from when the car was broken either, did anyone else?

I checked the times on the video I shot VS when the car was broke, and we were in El Rosario when it broke and still had signal, I think if we got a text it would not only saved us from driving to Coco's.

I dunno the deal you had but I thought it was the same as last year with Stepmonster? that gave us a ton of texts.
I know of a few people on here that said they would be happy to be a part of the team next year and text us updates from their home.

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
I think what he's referring to is I texted Dustin around 12:20 and said I did not get a text saying the racecar left the line.
He said he is only sending us critical updates.
I responded saying "I thought Lance was going to have you send out updates every 1/2 hour with where the race car is."
He said no.
No matter what, I did not get a text from when the car was broken either, did anyone else?

I checked the times on the video I shot VS when the car was broke, and we were in El Rosario when it broke and still had signal, I think if we got a text it would not only saved us from driving to Coco's.

I dunno the deal you had but I thought it was the same as last year with Stepmonster? that gave us a ton of texts.
I know of a few people on here that said they would be happy to be a part of the team next year and text us updates from their home.
i knew about the failure on the 1/2 hour updates and the emergency only thing. i was on the PBB eating in el rosario and there was no talk of the car being broken then. we pulled out of there 2 km behind you guys when you passed though. so, we were out of cell range before we would have gotten the update anyhow. even when we got back to service the next day, i didnt get the emergency text. im not saying dustin didn't fail us.:flipoff2: im just saying it would have made no difference if he had come through. there is 1 hr26 mins between my post from el rosario and first word of being broken in the chat.

Where did the hub end up being? I know it showed back up because I saw it in a box on Dave's trailer in Ensenada after the race.

·
Racing
837 Posts
Where did the hub end up being? I know it showed back up because I saw it in a box on Dave's trailer in Ensenada after the race.
I think Scott said it was in Jeff's truck the whole time.

Whether text updates would've made a difference or not this year... I don't know. But last year the text updates were money.

While it may suck to sit in Ensenada the whole race, I think two people to run a 24 hour "Command Center" from an Ensenada hotel room would be a good idea. They could work in alternating 6-8 hour shifts, with solid Internet, radio relay feeds (BFG & Wx Man), and Cell / Sat phones. They could not only track the race cars location and progress, but they could keep chase teams updated, and coordinate repair efforts.

I know this could be done from the states, however having them directly tied into team meetings and last minute car or logistical issues would increase their overall situational awareness, and their ability to effectively coordinate an appropriate response.

I'm pretty sure most of the big name teams are already doing something like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts